Default Rotted Cat Hangers

Age and constant exposure to salt air has taken its toll on the hangers that were formerly attached to my downpipe. The hangers are about 2/3 their original diameter and the welds where they attached to the cat have fractured allowing the hangers to come away. The obvious fix is to re-weld the hangers to the car housing but I suspect this will become an annual fix until its necessary to replace the downpipe. Anyway, was wondering if anyone is aware of any better options?

I suppose there is a good manufacturing reason to use mild steel hangers on a stainless pipe but they really are a pain to sort when they break. At least there is an affordable repair option for the rear hanger but nothing I've seen for the front one.

Thanks, guys

Cheers,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff

Dissimilar metal corrosion cannot be avoided but I am sure there are SST clamps and wire that can be welded together. Another option is a 1" sq piece of zinc somehow attached to the hangars. It will act as a sacrificial lamb and corrode away before the metal does.

Turned out to be a relatively simply fix with a bit of welding and the addition of 1/4in rod to strengthen what was left of the original hanger. I still question Volvo's wisdom of not just adding the optional middle hanger at the factory lessening the stress on the front and under-axle hangers. Plus it would have prevented the whole rain squeal issue from the get-go. All for the want of a few pennies worth of steel and a bit of additional work on the line. BTW, $120+ for that middle hanger is a bit of a joke as well. Arghhhhhh !

Cheers,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff