Default XC70 complete electrical failure

I have had a complete failure of the electrical system in my XC70. I just parked in my garage, took the key out and quickly put it back to close windows and all electrics failed. I do not even have power to get the key out. Power tailgate does not work, park brake does not operate. No lights anywhere. Nada.

However were some very strange whirring noises from down near the passenger footwell and occasional clicking relay noises from the left hand side of the engine compartment. So power was still getting to some components but they appear to be malfunctioning. The car cannot now be moved at all and fearing the possibility of an electrical fire I have disconnected the battery.

Any ideas or advice would be appreciated.

I would start with the battery. Measure the voltage. On a healthy fully charged battery without a load it should be 12.6V.
    Or, if don't have a meter and you know that the battery is old, just get a new one.
    =======================
    2003 XC70
    193,000 miles / first owner

Thanks. The battery is probably getting along in years. Don't have a voltmeter but will look into this on Monday.

Should also mention that I have had this wagon since new ( it was one of the first three that came into Australia) and have 160,000 Kim's on it. I have been so happy with it that I am considering updating to the 2014 version.....they are fabulous vehicles and this is the first time it has let me down.

you battery is busted. It happened to me before. When voltage goes lower than 8 V nothing in the car works - not even the key ejector. New battery will be your solution.

Quote Originally Posted by slayer8870 View Post
    you battery is busted. It happened to me before. When voltage goes lower than 8 V nothing in the car works - not even the key ejector. New battery will be your solution.

Thanks for your replies - a new battery did indeed solve the problem. It just seemed catastrophic because there was no warning at all that the battery was giving out.