Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Towing problem with my XC70 2004

Hi,
    I own a Starcraft popup which weighs 2500 lbs with a hitch weight of 185 lbs.

I tried to tow it with my XC70 2004 and I dislike the feeling because the rear of the car dropped down by 6 inches and the front wheels loose adherence. The installed hitch is a class II.

Does anyone knows a way to lift the rear? I tried to put more stuff at the back of the RV but that doesn't help much and the trailer starts to sway.

Vincent

Quote Originally Posted by yince View Post
    Hi,
    I own a Starcraft popup which weighs 2500 lbs with a hitch weight of 185 lbs.

I tried to tow it with my XC70 2004 and I dislike the feeling because the rear of the car dropped down by 6 inches and the front wheels loose adherence. The installed hitch is a class II.

Does anyone knows a way to lift the rear? I tried to put more stuff at the back of the RV but that doesn't help much and the trailer starts to sway.

Vincent
    The towing capacity is 3300 lbs so your well within the limit. I tow the bass boat a few times a year and the back doesn't squat down much at all. The weight of mine is 2190 lbs with a 155 lbs hitch weight so not much of a difference.

Only thing i can think of is that your vehicle has nivomat shocks. With nivomat shocks the rear springs have a much lower load capacity since the shock also holds the load of the vehicle and if the shock is worn the rear will drop alot when the trailer is on.

Do you know if you have the nivomat setup? A quick way to check is look at the bottom of the rear shock and you will see a accordion type boot on it.

Nivomatīs
    Frosty XC______________>
    V70XC 2001 019 Black
    - Leather oPackage -
    - Versatility Package -
    - Touring Package -
    - Rear Nivomats -

-Warning: Objects in mirror aren't as fast as they thought they were.-

Nivomats, indeed!
    I like them very much, you also keep the full suspension travel, not uniportant.
    But if I am not mistaken, conversion to Nivomats is not a simple task.
    Willy
    144 GL (1974)--->244 GL (1982)--->940 GLE 2.3i (1992)--->XC70 2.5T (2004)--->XC90 T5 (2018)

Quote Originally Posted by volvospeed70 View Post
    The towing capacity is 3300 lbs so your well within the limit. I tow the bass boat a few times a year and the back doesn't squat down much at all. The weight of mine is 2190 lbs with a 155 lbs hitch weight so not much of a difference.

Only thing i can think of is that your vehicle has nivomat shocks. With nivomat shocks the rear springs have a much lower load capacity since the shock also holds the load of the vehicle and if the shock is worn the rear will drop alot when the trailer is on.

Do you know if you have the nivomat setup? A quick way to check is look at the bottom of the rear shock and you will see a accordion type boot on it.
    I don't think they are nivomat. I didn't see any accordion. See the picture.
    I'm now looking for a weight distribution system but my receiver is only a 1.25 inch.

V
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20140731_194723.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    Nivomats, indeed!
    I like them very much, you also keep the full suspension travel, not uniportant.
    But if I am not mistaken, conversion to Nivomats is not a simple task.
    Willy
    I've read about Nivomats and that is exactly what I need.
    But after checking, my XC70 2004 do not have such a type of shock.
    Is it possible to have a conversion kit to have Nivomats?

Thanks,
    Vince

I've read about Nivomats and that is exactly what I need.
    But after checking, my XC70 2004 do not have such a type of shock.
    Is it possible to have a conversion kit to have Nivomats?

Thanks,
    Vince
    The Nivomats are optional in europe, I think, I just had the dealer order them and my indy installed them, one day in the shop, it's just plug and play, they really are worth it when towing with some weight on the towbar.

Frosty
    Frosty XC______________>
    V70XC 2001 019 Black
    - Leather oPackage -
    - Versatility Package -
    - Touring Package -
    - Rear Nivomats -

-Warning: Objects in mirror aren't as fast as they thought they were.-

I don't think they are nivomat. I didn't see any accordion. See the picture.
    I'm now looking for a weight distribution system but my receiver is only a 1.25 inch.

V
    I don't think the Nivomats look much different from normal shocks.
    They don't use external energy but rather level the car while driving from
    the up and down movement of the chassis. If the rear of a Nivomat car is loaded
    it goes down as would any other car. Ony after a short ride will the car be level again.
    If a car keeps its nose up it is not equiped with Nivomat shocks.
    Willy
    144 GL (1974)--->244 GL (1982)--->940 GLE 2.3i (1992)--->XC70 2.5T (2004)--->XC90 T5 (2018)

Quote Originally Posted by FrostyV70XC View Post
    The Nivomats are optional in europe, I think, I just had the dealer order them and my indy installed them, one day in the shop, it's just plug and play, they really are worth it when towing with some weight on the towbar.

Frosty
    Sounds good!
    I am not an expert myself, but I think JRL once mentioned that it is not a question of simply
    replacing the shocks in order to upgrade to Nivomats.
    But my memory probably fails
    Willy

Yes, Nivomats are great but expensive to replace. You can see the bellows which has been mentioned by OP just above the new disk.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20140730_172032.jpg   IMG_20140730_172029.jpg  
    MY01 Ocean Race XC70 Blue/Silver

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast