Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Power steering leak

I have a power steering leak that seems to be coming from the reservoir area.

I have heard it is recommended to upgrade to the 2005+ reservoir and hose. I plan on buying the reservoir and hose from the iPD sale that is happening. But I am unsure what hose it is I need to purchase?

Has anyone here done this upgrade?

http://www.ipdusa.com/products/6958/...0-s80-v70-xc70

I don't see why it is necessary to replace the hose. For clarification, are you referring to the return hose or the main hose to the PS pump? Accounts of others who have needed to replace the reservoir have not replaced the hose, only the clips - usually jubilee type instead of Oetiker clips Volvo use. I recently added a magnefine filter to the PS return line. I extended the hose using some I happened to have it is marked Made in the USA 23/64 ID hose(0963) CM, RY, CHK 05:42 AIS. It is reinforced and works fine. The other hose is much larger OD. Given that both these hoses have special metal fittings at one end, unless you are extending the existing it seems likely OEM will work best. Bye the way check which flid is in the system. Mine had red ATF which is wrong, so I had to flush it before using green CHF SII.
    Last edited by nickbw; 06-12-2014 at 01:09 PM.
    MY01 Ocean Race XC70 Blue/Silver

Can you see where the leak is specifically? If it's generally just wet it could be the cap, see http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/for...hp?f=9&t=48106 .

Not sure what upgrading to an '05 reservoir is supposed to do but my original OEM started leaking after the plastic thing broke off inside the reservoir. I replaced it with a cheaper aftermarket version from Euro and the stupid cap that came with it would never seal right so the leak continued but this time out of the cap. I finally purchased a Volvo reservoir along with a new suction hose and couple of 15-24mm hose clamps and the problem went away. So the moral of this story is to buy OEM!
    Jim<><
    '04 XC70 AWD CrossCountry 2.5T
    '99 Land Rover Discovery I (sold )
    '86 Saab 900i (sold a long time ago...)

Quote Originally Posted by 9dawgs View Post
    Not sure what upgrading to an '05 reservoir is supposed to do but my original OEM started leaking after the plastic thing broke off inside the reservoir. I replaced it with a cheaper aftermarket version from Euro and the stupid cap that came with it would never seal right so the leak continued but this time out of the cap. I finally purchased a Volvo reservoir along with a new suction hose and couple of 15-24mm hose clamps and the problem went away. So the moral of this story is to buy OEM!
    Thanks for the info.

Is the suction hose the top or bottom hose?

Quote Originally Posted by farewell View Post
    Thanks for the info.

Is the suction hose the top or bottom hose?
    Bottom
    Jim<><

Here is a picture of my reservoir.

The 2005+ reservoir its a slightly different design, with the inlet and outlets being both at the bottom so I wasn't sure if a new hose is needed.

It seems as though someone has replaced the clamps as some point in the cars past.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails k2pfhxC.jpg  

I took a picture of my reservoir. The leak looks to be from the cap and leaking from the middle joint.

The 2005+ reservoir is a slightly difference design with the hose inlet and outlets being both on the bottom of the reservoir.

I wasn't sure if this means I would need a new hose that goes to the power steering pump?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails k2pfhxC.jpg  

What is it that causes the suction hose to leak? Mine seems to leak where it joins the reservoir and at the pump.

Quote Originally Posted by farewell View Post
    What is it that causes the suction hose to leak? Mine seems to leak where it joins the reservoir and at the pump.
    I think they just get "oil soaked" so matter how tight you make the clamp it will still leak. I don't know but it seems logical to me. If you remove the hose you'll probably notice it being a bit slimy at the end where it connects. The rubber material breaks down and causes this. If your reservoir has the plastic piece broken off inside it will "splash" inside the reservoir and cause cavitation. From what I could tell it caused fluid to basically bubble out of the cap drip down the side of the reservoir and soak the hose where it attached at the bottom. Mine was leaking from the reservoir side only. I tightened the clamp a couple of times with negres. So I just bought a new hose, reservoir and a couple of new clamps and solved the issue once and for all. :>)
    Jim<><

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast