Default Cleaning oil off engine head, removing spark plug covers

So I went to change my spark plugs today and found oil on the top of the engine in the nooks and crannies between the coil packs, and also in at least one of the spark plug wells. I'm pretty sure it was the gasket.

2 years ago I had my PCV system overhauled, unfortunately, to the tune of $1500. That's when I learned all about positive crank case ventilation. I posted about it: http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showth...iring-my-Volvo. My repairman did an excellent job of cleaning everything up. Now, the last time I was in my engine I was changing a coil pack. I've actually changed two of these. This was about 8 and 10 months ago respectively and the oil wasn't there.

Two months ago I changed the oil cap gasket simply because I'm now being diligent about regular maintenance, reading up on said maintenance, and found out those gaskets dry out over time. No question it needed replacing after inspection. I figure the PCV system is good, but I'm going to check it to be sure. I'm betting on the gasket though.

My questions are:

A) what's the best way to clean the engine and get all the oil out? What about inside the spark plug wells? What about washing off any cleaners after the fact?

B) Two of the rubber spark plug covers are nearly impossible to get out and I'm afraid using any extra force (a gripping tool of sorts) would rip the rubber. Am I being overly cautious or should I just give it more muscle and grip?

I was able to clean up the sitting oil pools between the coil packs with paper towels, but this left residue I'd rather not have. After a 60 mile commute to/from work I'll see if I'm getting any more oil on the engine tomorrow. Hopefully I'm not.

Quote Originally Posted by caryhorner View Post
    Two months ago I changed the oil cap gasket simply because I'm now being diligent about regular maintenance, reading up on said maintenance, and found out those gaskets dry out over time. No question it needed replacing after inspection. I figure the PCV system is good, but I'm going to check it to be sure. I'm betting on the gasket though.

My questions are:

A) what's the best way to clean the engine and get all the oil out? What about inside the spark plug wells? What about washing off any cleaners after the fact?

B) Two of the rubber spark plug covers are nearly impossible to get out and I'm afraid using any extra force (a gripping tool of sorts) would rip the rubber. Am I being overly cautious or should I just give it more muscle and grip?

I was able to clean up the sitting oil pools between the coil packs with paper towels, but this left residue I'd rather not have. After a 60 mile commute to/from work I'll see if I'm getting any more oil on the engine tomorrow. Hopefully I'm not.
    First thing, replace the rubber seal at oil filler cap . Like this http://www.ipdusa.com/prodtype.asp?n...oil+filler+cap.

Wipe it clean with shop towel or likes. No need to use any solvent, sensitive system.

The black ribbed wire loom ages, crumble, and melt into the spark lug housing, nightmare, can be punitive.
    You need to gently pry out the ignition coil.
    Use plastic tools, not a screwdriver or likes.
    2001 V70XC +204k miles/ XeMODeX/ Pirelli 12/32"/ Duracell 48/ MOBIL-3309/ Pennzoil EURO 5W-40/ Great Lakes

Well, I got the job done. I bought two rubber spark plug covers as added insurance in case I ripped the ones coming out. Sure enough, one of them ripped. Glad I had the insurance. The other one came out fine but I ended up using the second rubber cover I bought to replace another one that was soaked in oil from the leakage.

I got the spark plug wells cleaned out pretty well by wrapping this cloth material around a long screwdriver and going around the edge and bottom of the well. I don't know what that cloth is, my dad always uses it as packing filler when he ships me stuff, but it makes a great shop rag. I cleaned the top of my engine with it too. I soaked up the puddles of oil on top of the engine with paper towels. I used a bit of engine degreaser, spraying on the rag then rubbing into pockets on the engine to get up the remaining caked on bits. I sprayed off the engine with a light mist from the garden hose, making sure to cover the alternator and other sensitive parts of the engine with towels, blew most of the water off with my shop vac's blower side, then let it all dry in the sun for a few hours before cranking.

It took all day with the cleaning but she runs fantastic now. The next day I heard some rattle while accelerating after first starting up the car, but only for 5 seconds then it went away. I didn't have that the day before when I changed the plugs and I probably drove 15 miles after the plug change. But yeah... despite the oil mess I spent forever meticulously cleaning, changing spark plugs on this car is a stupid easy job, if you have the right tools.

Despite all the tools I inherited from my roommate, and he's pretty much got every socket I could ever dream of, he still didn't have a 5/8" spark plug socket. Go figure.

And yeah, I had already changed that rubber seal on the cap 2 months ago. I think the oil was the result of it not being changed up to then. I'm not seeing any new oil anywhere now, but I'm keeping a close eye on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Xheart View Post
    First thing, replace the rubber seal at oil filler cap . Like this http://www.ipdusa.com/prodtype.asp?n...oil+filler+cap.

Wipe it clean with shop towel or likes. No need to use any solvent, sensitive system.

The black ribbed wire loom ages, crumble, and melt into the spark lug housing, nightmare, can be punitive.
    You need to gently pry out the ignition coil.
    Use plastic tools, not a screwdriver or likes.

Probably should have your PCV pressure checked again just to make sure even though it was replaced 2 year ago. Oil on top of heads could be due to that instead of the oil filler hole gasket.
    Past Volvos : 01 V70 T5, 01/02 V70XC, 02 V70 NA, 00 V70XC
    Current EV/Hybrid : 13 Tesla S85, 11 Gen3 Prius
    Friends cars under my care 17 Audi A4 Quattro DSG (B9) 05 Audi A4 Manual 6sp Quattro (B7) 04 e320 V6 Auto, 05 Accord 2.4, 08 Element 2.4, 08 Camry Hybrid
    Past Others : 01/03 VW MK4 Turbo/NA/01M. Gen1 Prius, Gen1 CRV, Gen2 Rav4, 02 Town&Country, 06 Corolla, 12 Audi A4 Quattro (B8), 07 Civic 1.6
    https://sites.google.com/view/howardsvolvos

Ditto, to what Howard said or the next thing you know it will be your turbo and cam seals you will be fixing as well as the PCV. Make sure you replace all the PCV system, do not try and clean. Also, timely oil changes with full synthetic oil is a must.

I'm on the timely oil changes, for sure. Doing that myself now and not putting it off a single day.

I would like to point out that since I cleaned the engine off, I have absolutely no new oil on the top of the engine. My turbo, however, has been leaking for a bit and I am ordering new seals for that. I'll have my PCV system checked again too. Good idea.