Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Transmission Fluid Change Frequency...

I've been looking for good information regarding the frequency of transmission fluid changes and so far I really can't find any discussions of this. I find LOTS of discussions about how to change the fluid (Gibbons method vs. drain and fill), what type of fluid to use (JWS-3309/T-IV), adding a Magnepan filter to the line, etc., but nothing about how often to change the fluid.

I've got a 2002 XC70 P2 with the notoriously bad AW55-50 SN tranny, although I don't have any issues with mine currently. I bought the car at 106k and don't know the full maintenance history of it. I had the transmission fluid changed at just over 130k (not a total flush, don't remember what method honestly) and now I'm at 166k.

The published Volvo maintenance schedule says only to change it every 52k only if the car is used for towing: http://new.volvocars.com/ownersdocs/...intenance.html. They say to "check/adjust" at 30k but they don't say how often to change otherwise.

Given the fact that, a) these transmissions have the known problems they do, and b) I'm in the high mileage club... what do folks here recommend as far as frequency of changing? I looked for Aisin-Warner published maintenance schedule and didn't find anything either.

You're lucky you still have one at those miles being an 02

It always SHOULD have been: Change fluid every 30K miles (as per Toyota who owns Aisin Warner), but Volvo in their infinite wisdom screwed many owners with their
    "lifetime fluid" BS
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

I have 353K kms (219K miles) on my '02 and bought the thing when it had just over 100K kms. Knowing what the story was on the gearbox, I replaced the fluid with Toyota Type IV shortly thereafter. Ever since, I've changed it every third oil change or 30K kms which ends up being a bit over once a year for me. It isn't the greatest autobox I've ever had but at least it has more or less maintained that behavior throughout its life so far. I did start using Eneos Eco Fluid, which is a Japanese synthetic JWS3309-compatible fluid, about 100K ago and I do think it gets you a bit better shift quality. Nothing huge but better.

Cheers,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff

I'll second the every 30K. Particularly because it removes contamination more frequently. Fluid might be OK for longer (viscosity still good), but getting the dirt out is good for longevity...
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

Oh... I've read about the "non-servicable item" memo Volvo put out in reference to changing the transmission fluid. Totally idiotic. It's even mentioned on the Wikipedia page for the AW55-51SN tranny: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aisin_AF33_transmission

You guys are great though. Thanks for the responses. Now for the ultimate question of high debate (and I know I'm opening up a can of worms here, but I do appreciate people's experienced opinion). I'm pretty sure my buddy only did a drain and fill on the previous change. Should I go with a full on Gibbons method this time? What about half the Gibbons treatment, still leaving some of the junk in there? I remember the stuff that came out was DARK red. I don't want to loosen up any bits of gunk that might cause the transmission to react badly from being too clean, but I do want to get to a point of super cleanliness as long as it's safe for the mechanical operation of the tranny. Off the cuff, what would you say?

I think I've got the 55-51sn NOT the 55-50sn as I previously stated... I read the 50 is the non-turbo and my V70XC clearly has a turbo, being an XC and all.

Quote Originally Posted by caryhorner View Post
    Oh... I've read about the "non-servicable item" memo Volvo put out in reference to changing the transmission fluid. Totally idiotic. It's even mentioned on the Wikipedia page for the AW55-51SN tranny: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aisin_AF33_transmission

You guys are great though. Thanks for the responses. Now for the ultimate question of high debate (and I know I'm opening up a can of worms here, but I do appreciate people's experienced opinion). I'm pretty sure my buddy only did a drain and fill on the previous change. Should I go with a full on Gibbons method this time? What about half the Gibbons treatment, still leaving some of the junk in there? I remember the stuff that came out was DARK red. I don't want to loosen up any bits of gunk that might cause the transmission to react badly from being too clean, but I do want to get to a point of super cleanliness as long as it's safe for the mechanical operation of the tranny. Off the cuff, what would you say?

I think I've got the 55-51sn NOT the 55-50sn as I previously stated... I read the 50 is the non-turbo and my V70XC clearly has a turbo, being an XC and all.
    With many kilometres or miles I think it would be a risky movement for transmission if you perform the Gibbons method, wich is the correct procedure.
    My mechanic give an advice for a friend who owns an CR-V 1998 with 168.000 miles: do every 300 miles a 1 quart ÀTF change to avoid the premature failure of the trans but refreshing at the same time the worn ATF.
    XC70 2006 with a crappy AW55-51SN trans!

Quote Originally Posted by monochamus View Post
    With many kilometres or miles I think it would be a risky movement for transmission if you perform the Gibbons method, wich is the correct procedure.
    My mechanic give an advice for a friend who owns an CR-V 1998 with 168.000 miles: do every 300 miles a 1 quart ÀTF change to avoid the premature failure of the trans but refreshing at the same time the worn ATF.
    Well... I'm at the 30k mark for my next fluid change, which is why I started this thread in the first place. You think a 4qt drain and fill would suffice this time, then start a ~300mi/1qt drain and fill? And how long for the 1qt drain and fill? 1500 miles? 2000 miles? I drive roughly 350mi a week commuting 60 interstate miles to/from work, plus in town errands. I could make this a weekly event for the next few months.

1 qt is a joke, won't do much of anything
    At least do a full drain and fill, 3.5 quarts
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

Quote Originally Posted by caryhorner View Post
    what do folks here recommend as far as frequency of changing?
    Change the fluid when it loses it's red color.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trans-fluid-chart.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	26.5 KB 
ID:	6206

Take a clean paper towel. Remove the dipstick and put a drop of transmission fluid on the towel. Use a drop of new fluid for comparison. Compare to the above chart and change as necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Astro14 View Post
    I'll second the every 30K. Particularly because it removes contamination more frequently. Fluid might be OK for longer (viscosity still good), but getting the dirt out is good for longevity...
    If the fluid is dirty it will lose its red color. Add a Magnefine filter to reduce particulate accumulation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast