Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Did you buy a BOSCH MAF?
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

Quote Originally Posted by dperry View Post
    I had pulled the ETM off to clean it
    Did you use a new throttle body gasket when you reinstalled it?

Yes on the throttle body gasket, bought it from Volvo dealer.

Yes on the brand new Bosch MAF.

Quote Originally Posted by dperry View Post
    Yes on the throttle body gasket, bought it from Volvo dealer.

Yes on the brand new Bosch MAF.
    It is recommended to replace the intake manifold gasket if you have taken off manif for PCV.

The lower set of screw 10mm are loosened, not removed, where the upper set of screws are fully removed to pull up manif and off to the side.

But then installing the gasket requires removing the lower 10mm screws, cleaning the mating surface, applying lubrication over gasket for it to hold it in place at the mating surface. And then you thread the lower screws few turns.

Now when you slide the manif back over the gasket and lower screws, it is where the care is needed, the gasket tangles with lower screws.
    It often happens at hard to reach places. A further tightening of screw, lower in particular would press and close any gap. Stop the leak.

Give it a try.
    You may need new gasket, use Volvos.
    2001 V70XC +204k miles/ XeMODeX/ Pirelli 12/32"/ Duracell 48/ MOBIL-3309/ Pennzoil EURO 5W-40/ Great Lakes

Used gasket I received with the PCV kit from FCPEuro, I assume that would be good. Intake manifold is tight, checked it again. Gasket is good, it is fairly firm so it is really doubtful it would bunch or something like that.

Pulled the codes at Autozone, here is what I have:
    P0102 (MAF sensor, flow too low, permanent fault)
    P0140 (Rear heated oxygen sensor (HO2S) Signal too low aging)
    P2135 (Throttle position (TP) sensor Faulty signal)
    P2187 (Long-term fuel trim Upper limit)

To revisit, my car will turn over, but then will stall out and die. I checked for idiot vacuum lines that I may have left undone during my PCV job and found none. One bit of weirdness that I would love someone to explain: when I electrically disconnect the MAF the car will start okay and run. (I then reconnect the MAF, and about a third of the time the car will not die, and I can then drive it as long as I don't turn it off.)

Considering the above, it would seem that the P0140 I can discount wrt the idling problem. I think only the forward sensor impacts engine performance, correct?

The P0102 and the P2187 would seem to be related. I checked the air pipe from the air box to the turbo and it seems to be intact. It kills me that I installed a brand new Bosch MAF, and it will be aggravating if I have damaged it with my troubleshooting, but if I did, I did.

Lastly the throttle position sensor thing throws me. I didn't think there was one on the 2003 XC70. There is a pedal sensor but I don't think that is what it is referring to, and I fear it might be an issue with the ETM that would require replacement.

If anyone can provide insight or educated guesses that would be great. I might pull the air hose to the turbo to really go over it tomorrow, but I would rather not.

There isn't, it's part of the throttle body
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

After you replaced the MAF and did the PCV job did you reset the codes? Once faults are logged the computer doesn't "forget" them so if you did not reset your codes you may be seeing a mixture of old codes that you fixed and new codes that you haven't.
    Toby
    2008 S80 T6 AWD Black Stone / Anthracite Black 85k miles
    2008 XC90 V8 Ember Black / Offblack 100k miles
    SOLD: 2005 XC70 Lava Sand / Taupe 176k miles
    Sammamish, Washington

I had a similar issue on my '06 V70 and it was the ETM connector not being seated all the way. It looked and felt good, but once I pulled it and then really seated it back on, it was obvious I hadn't connected it properly.
    Once that was done, my car ran fine again.

Well, it seems I fixed it finally. The air hose from intercooler to throttle body was slightly off the intercooler. Put it back on correctly, tightened it down, and voila, everything runs fine. Thanks for all of the tips/suggestions guys. Without this site I would be hard-pressed to do much of this maintenance.

Next, replacing front springs to see if that fixes my poor alignment/camber issues. Replacing all four end links while I am at it...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast