Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Default We bought one

Quote Originally Posted by Mocha View Post
    Hi y'all.

I am considering ordering a 2015 XC70 this week. I would like your thoughts & input as I have never owned a Volvo before. I have owned a Saab, but more recently coming from MINI Cooper and Corvette. What attracts me to this brand is it's safety record. What attracts me to the XC70 is that's its lower than a traditional SUV - I want the AWD in a car and that it's a wagon and has plenty of room for my Greyhound for road trips. Also that it's a nice road car. I would be ordering the T6 AWD and get it Polestar tuned...Climate and Technology package, Twilight with Espresso Brown leather seating...at least that's the plan unless I learn something different on this forum. I appreciate your comments. Aleta (aka Mocha).
    Dear Aleta,

We bought the 2014 XC60 six months ago because we needed a station wagon and this year the XC70 is just about the only one available. It is the shortest of the three Volvos sold in the U.S. and more like a station wagon than the others. We enjoy this car that replace our 23 year old Buick Century wagon (which we loved a great deal). The only complaint we have is the 21 miles per gallon fuel economy and the high price for this car. We will probably drive it for ten years and save with its reliability.

God bless,
    Pete

Very pleased to see you got Technology. Adaptive CC is incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by volvobuff View Post
    Love the T6 engine. Solid and reliable. Very adequate power for a car that big and heavy. The 3.2 engine, which I had in my former 2010 V70, is a POS. Odd, because both engines are OEM-built by Ford in their engine plant in Wales. My V70 guzzled oil and VCNA refused to acknowledge the problem or allow the dealer to repair it. I had to threaten a lemon-law filing to facilitate a buy back. Like I said, the Volvo customer experience leaves a lot to be desired. It is a continual uphill struggle. If I didn't love the cars, I would have walked a long time ago.
    Could you compare the T6 engine with the T5 engine in your V60? The specs on the new T5 4 cylinder sure do look impressive, I just wonder what the pros and cons are of this new engine.

Quote Originally Posted by Do I want a Volvo View Post
    Could you compare the T6 engine with the T5 engine in your V60? The specs on the new T5 4 cylinder sure do look impressive, I just wonder what the pros and cons are of this new engine.
    The T5e engine in both of my V60s sounds and feels just fine and the available power is ideally suited to a car of that size and weight. On the other, I did test drive an XC70 with the T5e engine and was surprisingly disappointed. The car seemed underpowered, the little engine that could in the V60 couldn't in the XC70, and it sounded like it was working far too hard, particularly on moderate acceleration from a standstill. Bear in mind that I had been driving an XC70 T6 for the previous three years and had become used to (OK, spoiled by) the appreciably greater power resources of that engine. Since I wanted to buy into the new technology of the four-cylinder engines and 8-speed tranny, I opted not to buy another XC70 (sorry, forum members) and ordered a second V60 instead. If I had really needed the capacity and capabilities of another XC70, I would have definitely ordered it with the old T6 engine; the T5e is IMO inadequate for a car of that size, and the 3.2 is an oil consumption nightmare. Ask me how I know...

Bottom line: I have come to realize that differences of even a few hundred pounds in vehicle weight make a huge difference in one's perception of engine performance. Here's another example: the very adequate old T5 engine and five-speed tranny in my 2007 V50 and 2008 S40, when dropped into a C30, made that smaller and lighter car seem like a pocket rocket. I had to be very careful not to spin the wheels on acceleration from a standstill -- and I do not drive with a heavy foot. Of course, that was just my impression, and others might well feel differently.
    Last edited by volvobuff; 01-27-2015 at 04:31 PM.
    Current Volvos:
    2015.5 V60 T5 Drive-E FWD Seashell/Beige, Platinum, Front Heat, BLIS, Urbane Wood, 18" Titania Rims
    2015.5 V60 T5 Drive-E FWD Power Blue/Off-Black, Platinum, Front Heat, BLIS

Former Volvos:
    2012 XC70 T6 AWD Twilight Bronze/Espresso-Sandstone; 2012 S60 T5 FWD Saville Grey/Off-Black; 2010 V70 3.2 Seashell/Sandstone; 2008 S40 T5 Orinoco Blue/Quartz; 2007 V50 T5 Barents Blue/Quartz

Thanks for your reply and your observations on the T5e engine and the T6 engine. That was exactly what I needed to know. Now I know I will have to test drive the XC 60 before making a decision regarding the XC 70, although I do like the interior of the XC 70 better than the XC60. Since my current car is a Lexus, theXC70 just seems to be much closer in fit and trim to the Lexus than does the XC60. Of course I could wait until Volvo puts the T5e engine with Polestar into the XC70, with the extra horsepower and the 8 speed transmission I am sure it would be very powerful.

I am in a similar situation as you (a year later of course). My wife and have never owned a Volvo before and chose the XC70 to accommodate our growing family. Are you still happy with your purchase?

We ordered ours (2015.5 T5 Drive-E Premier) back in December and it should be here in the next week or two

Thanks!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345