Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by volvobuff View Post
    A black on black XC70 looks great and, perhaps even more important, it mitigates the appearance of the extensive black plastic cladding, which many including myself find unattractive.

As regards BLIS, I have had it in my last four Volvos and wouldn't be without it. Some owners find the occasional false positives (usually in very heavy rain) to be annoying, but it doesn't occur so often as to be a deal-breaker as far as I am concerned. The new revised radar-based BLIS is supposed to be much better than the original camera-based system, and the new rear Cross Traffic Alert included with the BLIS should alone be worth the price of admission. I invariably find myself parked between two SUVs or minivans and backing out of the slot into traffic is always a hair-raising experience.

About gas mileage: the published EPA numbers are not all that great, but i consistently get far better gas mileage. I get 28 mpg at a steady 65 mph using ACC on 87 octane gas and 24 mpg mixed highway and local driving. I consider these numbers to be very decent, given the size and weight of the XC70. However, many other XC70 owners report far lower numbers. My secret: I drive downhill as much as possible.
    Now, you have me rethinking the BLIS. I can envision backing up out of a parking spot at the grocery store and the anxiety it would produce. My driving is primarily local, perhaps as little as 5 or 10 miles a day. It is not the most efficient environment in that it's 30-40 mph with stop lights. But when traveling across state lines I hope to experience your numbers. Thanks for your insight.

Quote Originally Posted by TravelOn View Post
    Now, you have me rethinking the BLIS. I can envision backing up out of a parking spot at the grocery store and the anxiety it would produce.
    Yup. Go for the BLIS. You can't see a damn thing when you are parked between two tall behemoths. And the large number of AHs who drive too fast in a parking lot are also the ones who don't look for others trying to back out of a parking space who can't see them. Man's inhumanity to man, that sort of thing. I can't wait to get my 2015 V60 with BLIS and Cross Traffic Alert. And my next 2016 XC70 will have it as well.

My driving is primarily local, perhaps as little as 5 or 10 miles a day. It is not the most efficient environment in that it's 30-40 mph with stop lights. But when traveling across state lines I hope to experience your numbers. Thanks for your insight.
    Well, as long as you are not doing anything illegal or immoral driving across state lines, you should be fine.
    Current Volvos:
    2015.5 V60 T5 Drive-E FWD Seashell/Beige, Platinum, Front Heat, BLIS, Urbane Wood, 18" Titania Rims
    2015.5 V60 T5 Drive-E FWD Power Blue/Off-Black, Platinum, Front Heat, BLIS

Former Volvos:
    2012 XC70 T6 AWD Twilight Bronze/Espresso-Sandstone; 2012 S60 T5 FWD Saville Grey/Off-Black; 2010 V70 3.2 Seashell/Sandstone; 2008 S40 T5 Orinoco Blue/Quartz; 2007 V50 T5 Barents Blue/Quartz

Quote Originally Posted by TravelOn View Post
    I've long admired the look of the Volvo wagons and I like the comfort and elegance level of the interior. I admit that until cars drive themselves I'm trying to mitigate the dangers presented by distracted drivers. A paramedic friend of mine said he'd never seen a Volvo passenger compartment compromised. I considered the Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit, but ultimately I didn't like the height of the vehicle.

In all my extensive searching I've been appalled at the quality of the salespeople I've encountered. Each and every one, including Volvo's, is an impediment to the sale. It's maddening. None of the Volvo service departments in my area have a good reputation. I talked to a number of Volvo owners and they pointed me to 2 highly recommended nearby independent mechanics. I intend to keep this car for 8-10 years.

Thank you all for your responses. It's difficult for me to hand over this much cash and I've taken a long time to get here.
    I agree with your Paramedic friend. I too am a former Paramedic and a 20 year veteran police officer who has worked many motor vehicle accidents. I have worked many fatality wrecks...but none involving a Volvo. Not saying it doesn't happen, but Volvo drivers are much more likely to survive a serious crash that many other car makes. Volvo makes an amazingly safe vehicle. And the safety features also cut down on the annoying fender-benders. I'm going to love the BLIS and the Cross-Traffic Alert. I am so looking forward to my Volvo arriving in April. I can hardly wait!
    2015 XC70 T6 Twilight Bronze/Espresso Brown, Premier Plus, Climate, Tech, Xenon, BLIS.

That's an interesting idea. I am not certain how the black plastic would take to being painted. It has a slightly granular texture, which really grates on my sensibilities, for some reason or other. It looks, for want of a better word, plastic.

One feature you didn't ask about is Adaptive Cruise Control, which is part of the Tech Package. This has become one of my favorite features and one of the few things I absolutely wouldn't want to do without. Once you use ACC, you'll never go back. I use it constantly in highway driving and am convinced it gets me better gas mileage. In my S60 T5, I consistently get 38 highway, 34 mixed. And in stop-and-go traffic it is a great help and a nice substitute for constantly riding the gas and brake pedals. Whenever I get a service loaner with plain old vanilla cruise control, it drives me nuts, to the point where I would rather not use it at all than constantly having to activate and deactivate it in highway driving. As always, YMMV. Different things bug different people, but that one bugs me.
    I saw a Twilight Bronze at the car show last week with the black cladding painted body color, once it's painted it looks smooth, it was beautiful. Looked much better than the black cladding. Our plastic cladding on the MINI is the same granular texture but it's paints nicely and looks so much better. Lots of MINI Cooper owners do it.

Yes, I too am looking forward to the ACC. I don't use my CC unless on open highway because it drives me nuts to keep setting it and resetting it. But with ACC I will definitely be using it more often. This will be a fantastic road car and I take a lot of long road trips with my Greyhound so he will have a lot more room in the XC70 than he has in my MINI. He still goes everywhere with me in my MINI.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_5337.JPG  
    2015 XC70 T6 Twilight Bronze/Espresso Brown, Premier Plus, Climate, Tech, Xenon, BLIS.

Can't speak for greyhounds, but an XC70 will hold four basset hounds with room to spare. They don't take up much vertical space, however, just horizontal. I bought my first Volvo, a 1981 240 DL wagon, specifically to haul hounds to dog shows and field trials.
    Current Volvos:
    2015.5 V60 T5 Drive-E FWD Seashell/Beige, Platinum, Front Heat, BLIS, Urbane Wood, 18" Titania Rims

Former Volvos:
    2012 XC70 T6 AWD Twilight Bronze/Espresso-Sandstone; 2012 S60 T5 FWD Saville Grey/Off-Black; 2010 V70 3.2 Seashell/Sandstone; 2008 S40 T5 Orinoco Blue/Quartz; 2007 V50 T5 Barents Blue/Quartz

Well, it sounds like this car is popular with dog owners. My 108lb Labradoodle, Nigel, will own the back seat.

I ordered a 2015 today, with delivery in April. After thinking about all of the input I've gotten here and everywhere I went with the following:

XC70T6, Premier Plus, black Sapphire metallic paint, black leather, heated front seats, remote start, front view camera, and some of the accessory mats and the rear seat cover. I'm going to add a Thule Hullavator for the kayak.

Congrats on your order. I trust you know that, once you have the VIN from your dealer, you can track the shipping progress on-line. It will help to keep you busy while you are anxiously awaiting delivery of your new XC70.
    Current Volvos:

Former Volvos:

Congrats on your order. I trust you know that, once you have the VIN from your dealer, you can track the shipping progress on-line. It will help to keep you busy while you are anxiously awaiting delivery of your new XC70.
    Thanks volvobuff. When I asked the salesman he didn't know anything about it.(head smack) I'll email him now.

The VIN is assigned only after your order has locked in, which will be roughly one month from the date of order. Production will occur within a matter of days afterwards. You have up to the lock-in date to change the details, i.e. add or delete packages or options. You cannot change the choice of engine, however, as the build platform is motorization-specific. Information on how to track your vehicle in shipment is to be found at http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...t-and-delivery.
    Current Volvos:

Former Volvos:

The VIN is assigned only after your order has locked in, which will be roughly one month from the date of order. Production will occur within a matter of days afterwards. You have up to the lock-in date to change the details, i.e. add or delete packages or options. You cannot change the choice of engine, however, as the build platform is motorization-specific. Information on how to track your vehicle in shipment is to be found at http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...t-and-delivery.
    You know more than my sales person! Thank you so very much! I woke up happy that I'd pulled the trigger on this car.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast