Default Non OEM Windshield - Leak - Heads up!

I just wanted to post a heads-up after dealing with a problem on my 2007 XC70. I just purchased this car (my 3rd Volvo, 2nd XC70) in November. The purchase was unplanned; one of those scenarios one faces from time to time, the old Saab my daughter was driving daily died and wasn't worth the money to fix. So I put her in my 2005 XC70 and found this younger, lower mileage 2007 for myself.

Anyway, during the early December rains in New England I noticed quite a bit of water on the rubber floormat in the passenger footwell. The carpet was also soaked. I checked here on the forums and read about improperly re-installed cabin filters, blocked sunroof drains and so on. I took the car back to my dealer. They are good folks and take care of all of my cars. They blew out the sunroof drains and checked the cabin filter, dried out the footwell and cleaned everything up. The problem appeared to be resolved. With the really cold temps here in New England recently, I did not notice that the problem was not resolved, because any water that did get in was essentially frozen.

Last week it warmed up, we had rain, and the car again had a bunch of water inside so I took it in to the dealer this week. They removed the glovebox and were able to successfully water test and find the leak. They also found that the cabin fan motor had gotten wet (it was making chirping noises; I asked them to check it out).

The problem was that the windshield was not original, Volvo OEM. It must have been replaced by the PO. It was an aftermarket windshield and the installation was bad. They found a pretty large area on the bottom and side (passenger side) that was not sealed and seated correctly. The tech resealed the entire area on Thursday night, and then they re-tested it yesterday afternoon, with success.

They are getting a replacement fan as well so I hope to have the car back on Monday. I did have to chat with the service advisor and sales manager but they are covering the cost.

So beware aftermarket windshield replacements. It's probably worth an inquiry to your insurance agent to make sure that if you have to get the windshield replaced, that it is an OEM unit and then stay on top of the installation.

I have had two replaced in the past year due to stone damage resulting in long cracks. Used Glass Doctor. Non-OEM. No problem, ever rain sensor works fine. I guess the installer is everything with glass, as with most things!

The same could happen with OEM glass. As "men2be" said... the installer is everything. A good seal depends on them and how skilled they are laying down their bead of urethane. It's all in the install.

It's the installer not the glass.
    Usually they will leaks through the lower seal if not installed/sealed properly
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)