Default Passenger seat problem

My wife just informed me that there is a problem with the passenger seat in our 2004 XC70. The seat is all the way forward. If she tries to move it back, one side moves and the other doesn't so that it just twists and gets stuck. Has anyone dealt with this? I think it is different than the seat problem in the old 850s where the back of the seat would twist due to a cable issue.

This was a common problem on 960's and the solution for that was - There are two cables coming (on each end) from the fore/aft motor - one goes to the gearset on the left track, the other to the right track. One of the cables is not being turned by the motor. The cables are similar to speedometer cables (if anyone remembers them). The inner cable is "squared" at the end. What happens frequently is somehow the inner cable becomes too short. The outer cable is black plastic with metal crimped on ends, remove the inner cable (on the one that's not turning), cut the crimp off the loose end of the outer cable, pushed the 1/2 inch piece of black plastic outer cable (that you just cut off) from the inside of the crimp and recrimp it back onto the remaining (now 1/2 inch shorter) outer cable. Reassemble all making sure the sides are timed together (straighten the seat before you put the cable back in). In rare cases one of the cables breaks (inner or outer) and is not "fixable". It is possible something is in the track and is causing the seat to not move on one side and has damaged the cable.

Thanks, I remember fixing the same issue on my old 850. How do I access the motors on the XC70? Do I need to remove the seat and, if so, how do I go about doing that?

Default Repair completed

Just finished the repair. There was a flexible axle missing from the undercarriage assembly. I was able to special order it from the dealer p/n 8665138 for about $25. It is part #29 on the diagram below. Prior owner must have somehow lost the part. Anyway it runs between the right side of the fore/aft motor and the track on the passenger side. Access was a bit tricky because it is under the seat. I removed all four mounting bolts and then wedged a block of wood under the track to gain access. I also removed the lower part of the passenger side rear seat to give me more room. Once I figured out the problem the actual repair was pretty simple--would have been even easier if wasn't below zero outside. The only glitch was that after I assembled it the first time I realized that the seat was out of alignment, so I had to back the axle out and then moved the seat into the proper position before reassembling. I also lubed the track while I was in there. Hope this will help someone else in the future.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	volvo seat assembly diagram.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	50.3 KB 
ID:	5832