Default Partially stripped drain plug

Question. Last time I changed the oil the first half inch or so of threads came out with the drain plug. I noted the plug seemed really short, (and that there were a lot of good thread further back in the pan) so I got a longer plug with the same threads.

Anywho, I was thinking I would replace the pan. However, I read up on some fairly complicated instructions as well as $400 for a new pan (or $150 or so used on ebay) and this gave me pause.

Any mechanics out there that can give me tips on rethreading this particular location? Is that even feasible (or recommended)?

Thanks for any insight.

If you've got a good amount of thread left (say, 1/2" or so) and your longer plug is engaging them, I think you're fine, as long as you use a new sealing washer and torque correctly.

IF it was mine, and I was worried about it, I would spend the $25 or so on a Timesert (1st choice, best quality) or a Helicoil (still works well) and just re-thread the fitting in the pan. Aluminum will cut easily with a good drill bit. You'll need a pretty large drill and bit set for this, but the new drill, new bit and timesert will still be less than a new pan... Used pan is an option...but still a bigger PITA than rethreading and using a timesert...
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

since I put a Fumoto valve I forgot about those issues, if you've got a good amount of thread left maybe you can paste one valve permanently and leave it there ...

http://www.fumotousa.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Astro14 View Post
    If you've got a good amount of thread left (say, 1/2" or so) and your longer plug is engaging them, I think you're fine, as long as you use a new sealing washer and torque correctly.

IF it was mine, and I was worried about it, I would spend the $25 or so on a Timesert (1st choice, best quality) or a Helicoil (still works well) and just re-thread the fitting in the pan. Aluminum will cut easily with a good drill bit. You'll need a pretty large drill and bit set for this, but the new drill, new bit and timesert will still be less than a new pan... Used pan is an option...but still a bigger PITA than rethreading and using a timesert...
    Timeserts are the way to go if you can find them. We used them a couple of times in our race cars and never had a problem . In fact, once a plug gotten tightened a bit too much (wasn't me!) and it took us using a 4 ft piece of pipe to loosen it up. All the while the Timesert hung in there and was undamaged when all was said and done. They are so good, you almost wonder why they just aren't standard on aluminum pans.

Cheers,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff