Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

No idea. The car is losing a very small amount of coolant over time, wondering if it plays any role in this. The car's engine is well maintained with synthetic oil change every 5K miles. From what I read the valve shouldn't wear out in 155K miles. Here is an interesting article talking about various causes of valve failures: http://www.aa1car.com/library/ar1192.htm
    2005 Volvo XC70, Ash Gold, 210K miles

Sounds like a factory defect.

You can look down into your cylinders with a bright flashlight and inspect the surfaces of the piston heads. Coolant has a neat way of cleaning the crap out of piston heads, so if #1 is spotless while the rest are black.......

The top of the #1 piston is coated with hardened black carbon deposit. I guess I might get some clue after I pull the head. This thing happened suddenly, so it could be that the valve lost a piece of metal.

Now I wonder where that lost metal went.

possibly a broken valve spring?

Took the head off today and this is what my burnt valve looks like:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1050866.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	98.4 KB 
ID:	5609
    Last edited by DYZ; 06-06-2015 at 08:37 AM.

Oh yeah they do.
    There's been a rash of engine failures lately.
    Perhaps it's the Ethanol in the gas but this has been going on for a couple of years now
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

Got the head back from my local machine shop last week and finished putting everything back today. Car runs great and feels a lot quicker getting up to speed. No leak so far. Total cost is about $1000, including the valve job ($500), head gasket kit ($280), cam locking tool ($110), torque angle meter ($10), anaerobic gasket maker ($10), and a few minor stuff (cleaners, solvent, etc).

The whole job is really not that difficult, but you do have to be patient. I took lots of pictures to help me remember where things are/go. The cam locking tool is a must. I made one myself at first, but it was destroyed when I used it to remove the cam gears. So if you make one, make sure to test it out like I did - you really don't want it to fail when you putting things together! I didn't want to take the chance seeing how tight the cam gear is bolted on, so I bought the tool from ebay.

Oh yeah, one of the test drive is a trip to the emission test center - no problem passing the test!

DYZ

Quote Originally Posted by DYZ View Post
    Got the head back from my local machine shop last week and finished putting everything back today. Car runs great and feels a lot quicker getting up to speed. No leak so far. Total cost is about $1000, including the valve job ($500), head gasket kit ($280), cam locking tool ($110), torque angle meter ($10), anaerobic gasket maker ($10), and a few minor stuff (cleaners, solvent, etc).

The whole job is really not that difficult, but you do have to be patient. I took lots of pictures to help me remember where things are/go. The cam locking tool is a must. I made one myself at first, but it was destroyed when I used it to remove the cam gears. So if you make one, make sure to test it out like I did - you really don't want it to fail when you putting things together! I didn't want to take the chance seeing how tight the cam gear is bolted on, so I bought the tool from ebay.

Oh yeah, one of the test drive is a trip to the emission test center - no problem passing the test!

DYZ
    Cool you were able to fix it yourself. I have a 2001 XC70 with 180k and had same issue. Cylinder 2 and 4 failed....compression was super low. I ended up getting an engine off eBay ($750) and had an independent shop put it in. close to $3k to fix a car worth not much more. Car went thru a few coil packs in since i got it (90k) but nothing unusual. Total surprise on the engine failure as i pretty much followed the book on service.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12