Default Thumping or Clunk felt when car is IDLE or on PARK

Hey guys, maybe you can help me diagnose a problem.

i have a 2006 xc70 with 193,000 kms on it

I feel a thump through the steering wheel and pretty much throughout the car. This doesn't happen constantly but it could happen once every 2 or 3 minutes. I want to stress that this ONLY occurs when I am in drive and i am completely stopped at a red light or if I am in park. In no way does any clunk or thump happen when im driving. When accelerating or cruising the car runs absolutely fine.

I also want to say then when the clunk does occur when idling or in park. The rpm gauge does not move at all. It stays exactly where it should.

Any ideas?

Sounds like your tranny is taking a long time to drop into first gear. Or does it clunk over and over while sitting in drive?

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    Sounds like your tranny is taking a long time to drop into first gear. Or does it clunk over and over while sitting in drive?

no it goes into first just fine. I will only feel a clunk after 30-40 seconds after being in park or at a red light in drive. I want to stress that the car runs just fine when moviing

hard problem to figure out. Here are some thoughts to consider

- If the clunk occurs while in P, we maybe able to rule out the drive line components (transmission, drive shafts, angle gear, propeller shaft, haldex, final drive) and brakes.

- If the engine RPM is steady when it clunks, we can probably rule out the engine

So whats left that has load/pressure? Power steering, coolant and AC circuit (if AC is/kicks on). How is the PS steering fluid level?
    Past Volvos : 01 V70 T5, 01/02 V70XC, 02 V70 NA, 00 V70XC
    Current EV/Hybrid : 13 Tesla S85, 11 Gen3 Prius
    Friends cars under my care 17 Audi A4 Quattro DSG (B9) 05 Audi A4 Manual 6sp Quattro (B7) 04 e320 V6 Auto, 05 Accord 2.4, 08 Element 2.4, 08 Camry Hybrid
    Past Others : 01/03 VW MK4 Turbo/NA/01M. Gen1 Prius, Gen1 CRV, Gen2 Rav4, 02 Town&Country, 06 Corolla, 12 Audi A4 Quattro (B8), 07 Civic 1.6
    https://sites.google.com/view/howardsvolvos

Mine does the exact same thing! Runs fine, nothing in P, nothing cruising, RPM does not drop, it does it ONLY while waiting at a stop light for a few seconds.

I flush the PS fluid, nothing, replace the whole PCV system-nothing, I am left with an electrical issue--somewhere-some wire is not grounded, perhaps??? I have noticed that my when I press my rear window control button from the driver's door, I hear a click like the one you get when something is not grounded well. I have also noticed that when the car is running and in P, and I press the brake, I hear the same click and actually feel the click on the shifting handle.

If you have figure it out, let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by adcench View Post

I feel a thump through the steering wheel and pretty much throughout the car. This doesn't happen constantly but it could happen once every 2 or 3 minutes. I want to stress that this ONLY occurs when I am in drive and i am completely stopped at a red light or if I am in park. In no way does any clunk or thump happen when im driving. When accelerating or cruising the car runs absolutely fine.

I also want to say then when the clunk does occur when idling or in park. The rpm gauge does not move at all. It stays exactly where it should.

Any ideas?
    2004 XC70 2.5 T5 AWD 150K Mobil 1
    2000 VW Passat Wagon V6 150K Castrol
    2000 Tacoma PreRunner 190K Castrol
    2000 Isuzu Trooper 4WD 140K Castrol

Quote Originally Posted by howardc64 View Post
    hard problem to figure out. Here are some thoughts to consider

- If the clunk occurs while in P, we maybe able to rule out the drive line components (transmission, drive shafts, angle gear, propeller shaft, haldex, final drive) and brakes.

- If the engine RPM is steady when it clunks, we can probably rule out the engine

So whats left that has load/pressure? Power steering, coolant and AC circuit (if AC is/kicks on). How is the PS steering fluid level?
    A/c isnt on and the fan is completely off all the time. im having a volvo mechanic look at it next week. hopefully i will have some updates! Thanks for the tips.

Quote Originally Posted by adcench View Post

Any ideas?
    How about all those mounts? Trany mount at the lower front, engine mount on the right? Top engine mount? I had similar problem before. It was caused by those mounts. Replaced them the problem went away.