Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

What Dave is describing is a much more precise version of the "Rubber Glove Over the Dipstick Hole" test for Crankcase Ventilation (You know- Glove inflates=Bad, Glove sucks in=Good). That slight sucking in of the glove is the equivalent of the manometer @ -.5kPa.

Cheers!
    Guy Welch
    2004 XC70 90K miles
    Ash Gold Metallic/Oak
    English Shepherd option installed in rear.

Dipstick is immersed in oil. Tube is not.

The tube doesn't go down that far, or the oil level reading would potentially be inaccurate because because of trapped air in the tube.
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

Dipstick is immersed in oil. Tube is not.
    That's correct. The tube sinks into the top of the pan by about 10mm. The stick extends beyond the bottom of the tube, and dips into the oil in the pan.

Dave.
    Our Most Probable Fate Is Death !!!

That slight sucking in of the glove is the equivalent of the manometer @ -.5kPa.
    You don't know that for sure though. You could be at -.2kPa which is the threshold for PCV overhaul. You could even be at -.3kPa. See, that's the importance of using a tool that has units of measurement on it. Just because the glove gets sucked in doesn't give you a balls accurate indication of your PCV system's health. Now, if the glove is inflating, and you've got smoke coming out of the dipstick tube then yes, it's plugged; the manometer comes in handy again. I've had a few actually blow positive...then something's really plugged up!!

Dave.

Yes, yes! Right! I was just trying to explain that the -.5 kpa manometer test was "like" doing the glove test. Glove test being the poor man's version of the same thing, but with little to no precision at all. Maybe I was reading it wrong, but at the time it seemed like OP was misunderstanding the purpose of doing the manometer test.
    BTW- where's the best place to get one of these manometers?
    Guy Welch
    2004 XC70 90K miles
    Ash Gold Metallic/Oak

$150
    I can get you the place and phone number to order one if you like.
    Not the best, the ONLY place you can order one from
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

This manometer discussion got me really interested. I have previously only used the "glove" test but I remembered I have a Dwyer Flex-Tube Manometer that I've used to test natural gas and propane piping. Those things only cost about $30.00. One of the fittings from my "MityVac" (usually used to change bevel gear fluid) worked perfectly to connect the manometer to the dipstick pipe. Ended up with a reading of -2.5 inches of water which multiplied by .2491 (to convert inches of water to KPa) gave me -.623. Good to know.
    Bill
    63 PV544 (attempted restoration)
    83 245 DL OSD (transferred to son)
    85 240 GL OSD (transferred to son)
    03 XC70 OSD (traded-in 4/12)
    05 AWD S80 OSD (transferred to son)
    12 XC70 T6
    16 S60 T5 Drive-E (FWD)

anyone got oics of the pcv and its pipe connection locations

need to check mine but have no idea where to look

Ended up with a reading of -2.5 inches of water which multiplied by .2491 (to convert inches of water to KPa) gave me -.623. Good to know.
    That's a healthy PCV system!!

Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by jgjones095 View Post
    anyone got oics of the pcv and its pipe connection locations

need to check mine but have no idea where to look
    There is no PCV. there is a PCV system. The intake manifold must be removed, among other things. See the "how to" section under "resources" at the top of this page. There's a pretty good write up in there. It's what I used for my PCV overhaul. Though there are some pretty good tips and hints throughout the site if you just do a search (but hey, those are the basics on how to use this site in general).
    Of course when you say "check it out" do you mean test to see if it's bad or needs replacing? If so just use the glove test. Put a rubber glove over the oil filler hole at idle. If it blows the glove out you got problems. If it sucks the glove in, then you're probably pretty good.
    Guy Welch
    2004 XC70 90K miles
    Ash Gold Metallic/Oak

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast