Default Is this an okay deal? Any problems I should look out for?

Hello all!

I'm in the market for an XC70 with about $3000 in my budget for it. I daily drive a Scion FR-S but I want something reliable and AWD for the winter for a reasonable price.

I'm a student and won't be driving the car too often on weekdays except to run some errands but will be driving it every weekend for sure.

I'm reading some problems about potential issues with the AWD system and some transmission issues and would like some advice what to look out for when I'm looking at the car.

The car I'm looking at is this one here:

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/4002350846.html

and everything seems okay to me, are there any XC70 specific questions I should ask the seller?

Sorry for the long post, I just want to make sure I'm not walking into a trap.

I'm looking forward to the forums advice! Thank you in advance.

TL;DR, is this car worth it?

Spend $100 and have it checked out by a Volvo dealership.

A wise friend once said to me - the most expensive car you'll ever own is a cheap one. If its cheap, there may be a reason for it. We all love Volvo's - but if you want something AWD and cheap, usually it's not a word synonymous with one another. Subaru also make good AWD vehicles and they last a long while but they're hard to find as people like to drive them til they die and they're not cheap either - even the older ones unless it's cheap for a reason.

Older Volvo's - like the one you're looking at - might need new suspension, Throttle body, ABS sensor, and a list of other common maintenance/wear-tear items that need replacement. Get it checked out thoroughly.

Do yourself a big favor and buy a Subaru.
    These early XC70's are nothing but trouble waiting to happen and very difficult to work on for a newly minted shade tree mechanic.
    My love and history of Volvo goes back a long way, two 544 models and one p1800, along with others rings the history bell.
    My old '93 940 has 227,000 miles on it and will run circles around my '2000 XC70 for reliability and fixability- it's still here as I gave it to my girlfriend!
    If you do a Gooooogle search about this model you will find a list of problems, all of which will afflict your car at some time or another.
    Sorry for the bad trip!
    ?

Every one of the 98-2000 awd v70s WILL have a problem with the AWD system at some point. (usually before 167000 miles)
    (putting on my flame suit now) When that happens most people choose to make the car into a 2wd car by removing the driveshaft (and angle gear if needed)
    A 1998 does not have the throttle issues the 99-00 cars have but I would not depend on it as a 4WD vehicle unless someone just spent a few thousand replacing angle gear, driveshaft, etc....

That said it might be an ok $2000 2wd car given (as stated in the ad) A volvo techs wife and family rode in the car.

My 1998 V70 XC has 269,000 miles. I did replace the drive shaft with a remanufactured unit (about $500 as I remember). No other AWD problems in 15 years of ownership. The car on Craigslist looks very clean. Have it checked by a competent mechanic and go for it.
    2010 XC70 3.2 Caper Green, PCC, BLIS, premium package, climate package.
    1998 V70XC 250K+, driven every day.
    1987 240DL wagon. Gone, but not forgotten.