Hi all -

I've been doing a little research on behalf of a good friend who owns a 2004 XC90 T6 AWD. Her Volvo has about 120k miles on it and is in very good shape overall. However, now she's experiencing some clicking noise from the rear end of the vehicle. It sounds as if it may possibly be a drive shaft issue, so she's considering trading it in and getting something different. Now I'm trying to help her determine if she should put more money into it - or spend even *more* money on another car.

Pluses:
* Clean, two-owner XC90. Being a lifetime Southern California car, it's 100% rust-free.
* 120k miles, not a ton.
* Runs great (aside from aforementioned clicking), no rattles or squeaks.
* Transmission replaced by Volvo under warranty at about 80k miles.
* Struts and rear brakes replaced within last 10k miles.
* She still likes driving it and feels safe in it.
* It's paid off (probably the biggest plus).

Minuses:
* Possible driveshaft issue
* She's had the CEL illuminate at inopportune times (on I-5, going thru rush hour LA traffic w/her two kids in the vehicle), so she doesn't have complete confidence in it.
* Will need new tires within next 10k miles.
* Minor cosmetic issues - leather seats are starting to split at seams, foggy headlamps (I polished them once).
* It's a thirsty vehicle for somebody who drives it ≈250 miles per week.

So, since she's already had the dreaded GM transmission replaced and recently took care of the suspension and brakes. Others have called the XC90 unreliable, but hers has been pretty good overall.

Any input on potential trouble spots that she may have to look out for in the near future would be appreciated. It'll help her with making the right financial decision.

Thanks!

-Chris