Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default HELP! P0455 nightmare

I have a P0455 code that absolutely will not go away. my 98 XC turns this code on before the drive cycle is even completed, regardless of if the tank is full or not! my tags are due, and i cant get this code to go away. ive replaced the purge valve, all j hoses, the roll over valve, the vent valve in the fender. what the heck else could be making it throw this code?! starting to get really frustrated with this car. after replacing a bunch of crap it turned on P0442 for a day, and went right back to 0455. grr! any help would be appreciated. thanks!

SMOKE the car, to find the leak
    Probably on the top of a hose or at a connection you can't see or one of the "new" hoses came bad
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

Question Charcoal Canister

Quote Originally Posted by rcglextacy View Post
    I have a P0455 code that absolutely will not go away. my 98 XC turns this code on before the drive cycle is even completed, regardless of if the tank is full or not! my tags are due, and i cant get this code to go away. ive replaced the purge valve, all j hoses, the roll over valve, the vent valve in the fender. what the heck else could be making it throw this code?! starting to get really frustrated with this car. after replacing a bunch of crap it turned on P0442 for a day, and went right back to 0455. grr! any help would be appreciated. thanks!
    Did you find the problem? I also have a 98 V70XC, and I think that the charcoal canister is up by the front left tire, but not sure. Did you look for and find yours? Diagrams/pictures I have seen elsewhere don't seem to help -- there seems to be some differences between front wheel drive and AWD vehicles, and also varying by date of manufacture.

I've got the "P0455 Blues" as well -- haven't found the source of the problem yet.
    Mauiman

Again
    You need to have the car "smoked" to find the exact leak(s)

2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

Question Evap

Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
    Again
    You need to have the car "smoked" to find the exact leak(s)
    I'm getting an expensive quote to do a smoke test, how much should I expect to pay for a smoke test? On a 98 V70XC is there a test port somewhere in the EVAP system where the smoke would be introduced to the system? Can this continuing P0455 DTC be some sort of faulty sensor and, if so, where would that sensor be located?

That's absurd
    This is a 5 minute test
    Remove any vacuum line, insert tube from smoke machine
    The "leak" will show up in less than a minute

I thought an expensive quote was ridiculous, too.
    As to the question of a sensor, is there a sensor that could be faulty and causing the code generation?

Probably not
    The purge valve can go bad, but I would not call that a sensor... per se

Probed around and found a large crack in short hose on one side of the roll over valve next to the fuel filter (right rear behind axle). Not sure how to get to it -- if I have to remove fuel filter + bracket to gain access or not? Not much room approaching from underside and no hand room to speak of through removable access panel on top under floor board of car behind rear seat. It is only about a 6" piece of line on the front facing side of the roll over valve -- if it were on the rear facing end of the valve, it is very reachable. Do I have to remove the fuel filter and hanger/bracket to get enough room to work on that small piece of hose?

You mean the J hose?
    Looks exactly like a "J"
    Not that hard and a VERY common failure

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast