Default Timing chain cover replacment xc90 v8 06

I'm new to this form thingy so here goes my first question...Has anyone ever replaced a timing change cover on the xc90 v8? As my local Volvo dealership and other independent mechanics who are familiar with Volvo can’t find any documented procedure on this but a 9.5hour expected service. Apparently this is a very rare occurrence. My reason I ask is I have a idler pulley mount broken off and we’re under the impression the only way to remount it is to replace the timing chain cover. Note, on the V8 the timing chain should not ever need replacing so I’m told.

With the limited room under the hood it really would be helpful if to know what is involved in this kind of repair. Any feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by moxy View Post
    I'm new to this form thingy so here goes my first question...Has anyone ever replaced a timing change cover on the xc90 v8? As my local Volvo dealership and other independent mechanics who are familiar with Volvo can’t find any documented procedure on this but a 9.5hour expected service. Apparently this is a very rare occurrence. My reason I ask is I have a idler pulley mount broken off and we’re under the impression the only way to remount it is to replace the timing chain cover. Note, on the V8 the timing chain should not ever need replacing so I’m told.

With the limited room under the hood it really would be helpful if to know what is involved in this kind of repair. Any feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Follow up to the above. What I discovered, replacing the timing chain cover is not a easy procedure and costs can add up very quickly. Let alone few licenced mechanics were willing to take on the project. So I had a steel sleeve designed which replaces the mount holding the idler pulleys. The sleeve was designed in such a way to slide into the bolt hole, which was over sized and then the pulley could mount onto it. The sleeve and pulley are all held in place with the same bolt and washer. So far every thing appears tobe operating smoothly. Success and a whole lot cheaper repair

Quote Originally Posted by moxy View Post
    Follow up to the above. What I discovered, replacing the timing chain cover is not a easy procedure and costs can add up very quickly. Let alone few licenced mechanics were willing to take on the project. So I had a steel sleeve designed which replaces the mount holding the idler pulleys. The sleeve was designed in such a way to slide into the bolt hole, which was over sized and then the pulley could mount onto it. The sleeve and pulley are all held in place with the same bolt and washer. So far every thing appears tobe operating smoothly. Success and a whole lot cheaper repair
    I just encountered the same problem and would like to attempt the fix that you described. You mentioned that your sleeve was designed to "slide into the bolt hole". Are you saying that you bored the bolt hole out a little so that it would accept the sleeve. It seems like this would compromise the strength of the bolt since it would have less thread holding it.

Just went through this repair myself. We cut off the broken piece and machined a new one. Bolted it all back together and it works like new!

I am wondering for those who have done the sleeve method if you had any specs for it to have it machined, and is this still working?

Thanks.