Default Imported post

Anyone run into this? The rear side brake lights are staying on after I remove my foot from the brake about 50% of the time.

This happens even after I've turned the car off. The third light does not suffer from this problem.

Car's going in for the big 30K service on Friday and I'll ask then. :confused:

Anyone have any ideas what might be causing this?

Art is offline Senior Member & VolvoXC.com Supporter

Default Imported post

Coastal,

Have'nt experienced the same effect but it's interesting to note that during my last service the left brake bulb was out and needed to be replaced. No problem....only after when I get the car home, I get a message that reads 'Bulb Failure Position Light'. All the brake lights come on as usual so I'm not sure what the problem is. :confused:

Default Imported post

Take a close look at the rear bulbs. I had the same error in the past but this message does not come up on the computer for this issue.

There's more than one bulb back there so if you look closely you'll probably notice that one side is slightly dimmer than the other.

Art is offline Senior Member & VolvoXC.com Supporter

Default Imported post

Yup, found it..this time it's the right rear parking light. Thanks Coastal.:)

BTW, has anyone noticed if their rubber bumper seal that comes in contact with the rear hatch, has separated. After contacting the dealer I was told to bring it in again to have a new one glued back into place. That means another hour long trip back to Calgary next week. The bulbs along with the seal are warranted by Volvo.

Default Imported post

Brake light failure is a well known Volvo problem. Both the L and R brakelights on my XC failed in the first month of ownership.

Further to the problem whilst it's relatively easy to remove the grill, remove the speaker then remove the bulb holder (the latter being most difficult if your hands as big as mine), it is basically a dealer job to replace the bulb holder. Neither I nor my wife nor two mechanics have been able to replace it in the tiny space provided.

Several friends have also experienced repeated bulb failures - never on the centre light though.

Mike

Default Imported post

Problem solved. Had to do with a faulty relay.

Taylor.