Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default This forum has changed over the years.

I first signed on back in 2006, after I had bought my 2002.

At that time the forum was devoted to the car's awesomeness, build precision, technical prowess, looks, capabilities, etc.

Now it seems to be just another "Help me fix it" forum.

Where did the passion go?

Hahaha! I don't think I've ever seen someone ask this question before. I doubt I'll be much help on the topic but here goes:
    I like the XC70. It's a good, solid car that's comfortable and was right on the money when it was new (I'm talking about the 2001 model). It was a luxury vehicle with good build quality and good parts that combined for a nice car that anyone could enjoy. Not have fun in, but enjoy. It would get you from A to B, it lasts a while, it's very capable for being a lifted V70, and it had a good options sheet. This is what drew everyone in. This is what drew me in to purchase a used one.
    Now that the entire body style has been phased out, it's an old model with old technology. Still a good car, but it's old. As it ages, it breaks, people realize it may not have been the greatest thing when it was first built. I know I steered far away from the 01-04 models when I was shopping. Plus it doesn't bring the enjoyment of when it was new. These days people want a new car but, for whatever the reason, they can't get one. That's the main issue.

I have a '10 Fusion Sport and an '05 Expedition also. I could never sell my Fusion, it's too rare, but the Expedition (which I freakin love) is getting old. Everything it does still makes me smile but it's just old and the gas mileage is worse than horrible. The only reason I still have it is because the new Expeditions can't shake a stick at my '05 even though all of the technology from the transmission to the nav system is incredibly outdated. The thing doesn't even have traction control or ESC for pete's sake! (it was an option for '05 and that was the only box left unchecked aside from 4WD...not that I wanted either one of those things) If I could, I'd trade it in for a Lincoln MKZ 3.7 in a heartbeat. I would miss it everyday though. It just makes you giddy with all of its capabilities especially the driving dynamics and when you throw the rear end out on a curve hehe
    I don't have any of those things to say about my XC. The only thing that I really truly don't want to live without is the sound of the turbo spooling. There's just not enough turbos spooling on the streets these days but the rest of the I5 sounds horrible. I loved the the 2.4L I5-T in the '99 V70 GLT, I always swore I'd take that engine out and put it in a Miata with a 5-speed transmission or something to go racing and sell that sh*t-tastic body but that didn't happen. That engine made all the best and right noises. Like I said, I can't say any of that about the XC. After I flogged the XC through the mud a couple times, the novelty wore off and now I'm just satisfied with it but I'd love to trade it in for something nicer *cough like the black on black 2010 V70 R-Design that's on my dealer's used lot cough* because it's just nothing special.

Not to mention my gas mileage is proportionately worse compared to my Expedition.

Hopefully that kind of answers your question? Maybe?
    2010 Fusion Sport | Tint 70/20 | LED Lighting | OE Aluminum Pedals | Steeda Strut Tie Bar | Intake Resonator Delete | Steeda Rear Sway Bar | ...
    2014 Expedition | 4x4 | Limited | Loaded | Stock
    2015 S60 T6 AWD R-Design Platinum w/ Polestar | Stock for now...

Quote Originally Posted by Volvoholic View Post
    Hahaha! I don't think I've ever seen someone ask this question before. I doubt I'll be much help on the topic but here goes:
    I like the XC70. It's a good, solid car that's comfortable and was right on the money when it was new (I'm talking about the 2001 model). It was a luxury vehicle with good build quality and good parts that combined for a nice car that anyone could enjoy. Not have fun in, but enjoy. It would get you from A to B, it lasts a while, it's very capable for being a lifted V70, and it had a good options sheet. This is what drew everyone in. This is what drew me in to purchase a used one.
    Now that the entire body style has been phased out, it's an old model with old technology. Still a good car, but it's old. As it ages, it breaks, people realize it may not have been the greatest thing when it was first built. I know I steered far away from the 01-04 models when I was shopping. Plus it doesn't bring the enjoyment of when it was new. These days people want a new car but, for whatever the reason, they can't get one. That's the main issue.

I have a '10 Fusion Sport and an '05 Expedition also. I could never sell my Fusion, it's too rare, but the Expedition (which I freakin love) is getting old. Everything it does still makes me smile but it's just old and the gas mileage is worse than horrible. The only reason I still have it is because the new Expeditions can't shake a stick at my '05 even though all of the technology from the transmission to the nav system is incredibly outdated. The thing doesn't even have traction control or ESC for pete's sake! (it was an option for '05 and that was the only box left unchecked aside from 4WD...not that I wanted either one of those things) If I could, I'd trade it in for a Lincoln MKZ 3.7 in a heartbeat. I would miss it everyday though. It just makes you giddy with all of its capabilities especially the driving dynamics and when you throw the rear end out on a curve hehe
    I don't have any of those things to say about my XC. The only thing that I really truly don't want to live without is the sound of the turbo spooling. There's just not enough turbos spooling on the streets these days but the rest of the I5 sounds horrible. I loved the the 2.4L I5-T in the '99 V70 GLT, I always swore I'd take that engine out and put it in a Miata with a 5-speed transmission or something to go racing and sell that sh*t-tastic body but that didn't happen. That engine made all the best and right noises. Like I said, I can't say any of that about the XC. After I flogged the XC through the mud a couple times, the novelty wore off and now I'm just satisfied with it but I'd love to trade it in for something nicer *cough like the black on black 2010 V70 R-Design that's on my dealer's used lot cough* because it's just nothing special.

Not to mention my gas mileage is proportionately worse compared to my Expedition.

Hopefully that kind of answers your question? Maybe?
    It's certainly well thought out input. Thanx.

I could never get rid of my '02. The car is so solid. It saved my life three times through a blizzard.

I still love it's conservative looks. I don't like the newer models. Too dressy.

My XC still kicks ass.

No problem! That may be why I don't have much attachment to this car, I've never really made any memories in it. It's the second car I've taken to college, it's not the *most* fun thing to drive but it's not bad, and it's got no insane gadgetry in it. I may have a predisposed disconnection from the car since it was bought for the sole purpose of being my college car to haul me back and forth while I'm here and be sold when I graduate so my father can get a new car. It is a seriously nice car to have for that purpose which is probably why I treat it so well. Someday, the third owner will get a very nice and well kept 2007 XC70 with a couple tasteful mods haha

Anyway, I do agree with you on the looks, the thing looks like a boss. My favorite Volvo wagon design will be the 97-00 V70, always loved that style. I can't get past the taillights on the new models even though that V70 R-Design calls out to me. But this car is the best design to own. It's the perfect mix of comfort and style, old and new, liberal and conservative. I do enjoy it.

I'll also agree that these cars do kick ass. For what it is and what it's made for, it does it damn well! It can even get through a mud bog on bald tires...ask me how I know ;D (my pictures don't really do it justice but you get an idea from how much got in the engine bay)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WP_001959.jpg   WP_002017.jpg  
    Last edited by Volvoholic; 03-17-2013 at 01:54 AM.
    2010 Fusion Sport | Tint 70/20 | LED Lighting | OE Aluminum Pedals | Steeda Strut Tie Bar | Intake Resonator Delete | Steeda Rear Sway Bar | ...
    2014 Expedition | 4x4 | Limited | Loaded | Stock
    2015 S60 T6 AWD R-Design Platinum w/ Polestar | Stock for now...

Yep, the car is unstoppable.

The stereo sounds fantastic.

The seating leather is robust.

The car is screwed together soundly.

Not sure about all of the above but....I've stayed with Volvo for a couple of primary reasons:
    The SEATS are the best (for me and my back).

I'm too old to care about all the new technology; A decent radio that has a nice center channel for voice and that you don't need to be under the age of 18 to know intuitively how it works!
    Simple, fairly logical controls and the (PERFECT) size of these wagons. (I can't put a set of wheels and tires and my large dog in an Audi wagon).

I don't care for SUVs, I like (need) to sit low and in a car-like driving position for my back, with my legs stretched forward, not out and down like in a truck seating position.

I preferred my Rs for actual driving (no contest there), but they are too low for everyday driving without having to think about tearing it apart on every bump, driveway and pothole!

Like V-holic, I love my Gen 1s the best, but 99% of these now are just too old, needing way too much work to keep them at a stage 0 and new looking.
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

Cars get old and break. They didn't need to be fixed as much when new. I think the forums for the newer, non-broken cars are supremely boring. Different strokes for different folks. I wish there were more technical masters here. While there are many VERY good DIY folks on this forum (thank you, for anyone who takes time to post on issues they have fixed), especially comapred to the XC90 forum it seems Volvos don't attract as many DIYs in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    Where did the passion go?
    Passion is definitely still there but now disguised in the form of "I love this car so much that I'm doing all these maintenance at 100k+ miles to keep it "
    Past Volvos : 01 V70 T5, 01/02 V70XC, 02 V70 NA, 00 V70XC
    Current EV/Hybrid : 13 Tesla S85, 11 Gen3 Prius
    Friends cars under my care 17 Audi A4 Quattro DSG (B9) 05 Audi A4 Manual 6sp Quattro (B7) 04 e320 V6 Auto, 05 Accord 2.4, 08 Element 2.4, 08 Camry Hybrid
    Past Others : 01/03 VW MK4 Turbo/NA/01M. Gen1 Prius, Gen1 CRV, Gen2 Rav4, 02 Town&Country, 06 Corolla, 12 Audi A4 Quattro (B8), 07 Civic 1.6
    https://sites.google.com/view/howardsvolvos

Our 2001 is still our primary vehicle. I agree with howardc64 that the passion for a vehicle can be measured by a lot of people doing the maintenance on their aging vehicles. I really appreciate all the great advice and tips provided in this forum over the years. I don't know how long ours will last, but I do know that if I had to part with her soon, I'd be very sad.

Realize as well that the world has changed since 2006. What kind of economic worries were there then? The economy was unstopable. People with Volvos could afford to pay someone else to fix them. There was the time and money to be passionate about your car and tell everyone how great it was.

Come 2008, the US banking/financial system managed to do the economy in. Everything crashed and burned. People now have to watch their pennies (in Canada's case nickles now). Fixing your own car became a financial need. If you don't know how to then a Forum like this is the best place to go. A place with people passionate about their cars and the knowledge to fix them.

So I am certain that the Forum has changed but so has everything else. Perhaps except for the joy of owning a Volvo.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast