Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 1999 xc 70 no rear drive shaft

Bought the car on Ebay. Got a great deal, but when brought home and had some work done, noticed the rear DS was removed. Car runs and drives great, wondering what needs to be checked first in order to replace the rear DS. Part is about $750. Before I buy it, I would like to find out if that is as simple as what needs to be done. I live in the northeast and if do able I would like to have it done. Any help or know of any one who has done it please advise.
    Thanks, Ray M.

Don't bother with the DS reinstall. Many if not most owners remove it in order to improve performance and gas mileage as well as reduced maintenance costs (tires, bevel gear). Save the money and buy a good set of snow tires and you will be ahead of the game. I live where it snows from October to April and have never gotten stuck if my snows are in use.

Quote Originally Posted by brick8 View Post
    Don't bother with the DS reinstall. Many if not most owners remove it in order to improve performance and gas mileage as well as reduced maintenance costs (tires, bevel gear). Save the money and buy a good set of snow tires and you will be ahead of the game. I live where it snows from October to April and have never gotten stuck if my snows are in use.
    Speak for yourself. AWD is a huge plus! I'll never go back.
    ( And you have zero facts as far as "many if not most" - BS.)
    Keep matched tires on the car and it's a great system.

It's a simple installation, but be sure you get the correct part.
    Volvo changed these up frequently for '98-'00 XC's:
    http://v70r.com/forums/topic/33058-9...11#entry122711

'98 " Last of the Good Ones!" V70 R
    Upsolute ECU - E-Codes/SilverStars - ArcticGrade Oil Lines - HD SkidPlate - Spoiler - XC Grill -

You can buy a fully rebuilt one at Colorado Driveshaft for about $550 with no core exchange.
    Unfortunately until that's hooked up there is no real way to see if the bevel gear and/or the viscous coupling (VC) is OK.

(Another stellar Ebay seller)!
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

Default snow tires first, then awd

Quote Originally Posted by BEJinFBK View Post
    Speak for yourself. AWD is a huge plus! I'll never go back.
    ( And you have zero facts as far as "many if not most" - BS.)
    Keep matched tires on the car and it's a great system.

It's a simple installation, but be sure you get the correct part.
    Volvo changed these up frequently for '98-'00 XC's:
    http://v70r.com/forums/topic/33058-9...11#entry122711
    I see you are farther North than I am, so I am sure that you run into more situations than I do where it is important. Anyway, I still recommend that if the original poster is on a limited budget that he buy good set of four snow tires first. AWD helps you to get going but doesn't help you turn or stop. Everytime it snows here, I see plenty of Suburbans and Jeeps stuck in ditches because of that.

I would agree with good tires ( All 4 - MATCHING ).
    My point is that you'll never even have a chance to
    stop or turn if you can't start. AWD FTW on that one.

Knowing how to stop or turn on snow and ice is just
    one more fine example of Darwin's Theory at work.

Upsolute ECU - E-Codes/SilverStars - ArcticGrade Oil Lines - HD SkidPlate - Spoiler - XC Grill -

I suppose you can drive around for a long time with no rear drive shaft. Honestly, I dont like the way the car feels. Its the wife's car and she does not know but I can tell the rear shaft is gone. I do remember someone saying that there is a plastic shim or something that can be compromised if you allow the wheels to spin.

Can anyone confirm that?

Lastly, has anyone every pulled there injectors after 100k to determine if they need cleaning? If whats been the ration good to bad injectors - I can recall ever hearing JRL e ver mentioning it.

Most injectors last the life of the car.
    Put a can of Techron injector cleaner in at every oil change and you should be fine
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

I have to agree with Brick8. I live in northern Minnesota near Lake Superior with the city on an 800 foot hillside, we get 50 to 90 inches of snow on average and we zoom up and down the hills with little issue. I took the DS out of my XC cuz the support bearing gave up, and I don't really feel like I want to test how long the bevel gear and VC will last by putting in a rebuilt shaft. With winter tires on and with 40 years of winter driving experience I've done fine this winter. Skill does help, tires help, not breaking my bank account helps as well. Would I love AWD? yep but not at the possible price. If I lived where there is more ice than snow I might reconsider.

Quote Originally Posted by Swaneez View Post
    I have to agree with Brick8. I live in northern Minnesota near Lake Superior with the city on an 800 foot hillside, we get 50 to 90 inches of snow on average and we zoom up and down the hills with little issue. I took the DS out of my XC cuz the support bearing gave up, and I don't really feel like I want to test how long the bevel gear and VC will last by putting in a rebuilt shaft. With winter tires on and with 40 years of winter driving experience I've done fine this winter. Skill does help, tires help, not breaking my bank account helps as well. Would I love AWD? yep but not at the possible price. If I lived where there is more ice than snow I might reconsider.
    Ice IS a big factor on the city streets here.
    But after a couple of FWD months this last summer,
    I'm extremely happy to have my AWD functioning again.
    To me, it's a whole different car without AWD, and I don't like it.
    AWD tracks better, corners better and changes lanes better.

As far a the BG and VC wear, just keep the tires matched,
    be sure the BG fluid is clean, doesn't leak and drive like a
    grown up. The bare bones simplicity of this system, IMHO,
    is it's best quality. Just be nice to it and it'll return the favor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast