Default Dealer says Mobil 1 0w40 "not recommended could harm engine"

I took my 2011 xc70 t6 in for 15,000 mile service and brought my M1 0w-40. I received a phone call and was told the technician said 0w40 could harm my engine and that they recommended I use 5w30. I told them how common it is to substitute this oil and that its stated in the owner's manual you can use 0w40 but they insisted I was wrong. I told them to put it in anyway. When I picked up the car I pointed to the manual and still the advisor stated that since I was not towing or driving in extreme hot or cold temps that the oil wasn't appropriate and that he would just use 5w30. I did not argue with him because I didn't want them to piss in my gas tank next time. What's your take guys?? How would you handle this??

0w-40 is obviously not the reccomended oil but it does show in the owners manual as a usable oil. If it is in the owners manual then you should not have any real issues. It may cause you a reduction in milage though as it is a thicker oil at operating temp.

I suspect that you will have this issue with the dealer everytime you go in with the 0w-40.

Quote Originally Posted by michaelp4283 View Post
    I took my 2011 xc70 t6 in for 15,000 mile service and brought my M1 0w-40. I received a phone call and was told the technician said 0w40 could harm my engine and that they recommended I use 5w30. I told them how common it is to substitute this oil and that its stated in the owner's manual you can use 0w40 but they insisted I was wrong. I told them to put it in anyway. When I picked up the car I pointed to the manual and still the advisor stated that since I was not towing or driving in extreme hot or cold temps that the oil wasn't appropriate and that he would just use 5w30. I did not argue with him because I didn't want them to piss in my gas tank next time. What's your take guys?? How would you handle this??
    I think that there may also be a garage 'profit' issue here.
    On this side of the Pond a dealer will charge around double what the owner can get the oil for from a accessory shop.
    When I was using the 5w30 I asked the cost at my dealer and was advised £70 ($105) whereas I could get it from the motor accessory store for 50% less.

I would also agree with 'ssicarman' in that you have to consider the temperatures the vehicle will be used in as well as driving conditions as a thicker oil is more difficult for the oil pump to use as well as getting it through some of the oilways in the engine.

I was also 'advised' that should a 'problem' occur while under warranty then it could invalidate the 3 year warranty that we get over here.

Quote Originally Posted by xcovlov70 View Post
    the 3 year warranty that we get over here.
    3 year warranty?????

ouch

Quote Originally Posted by xcovlov70 View Post
    I was also 'advised' that should a 'problem' occur while under warranty then it could invalidate the 3 year warranty that we get over here.
    The nice thing about this is that they would need to prove that it was your oil choice that caused the problem.

What oil are you using in your diesel?

0w40 is listed as being good for the full range of temperatures per the owners manual. The reason it is only specified for extreme temps is because the standard oil is "fine" for regular everyday driving. This is absurd to me that my dealer doesn't understand the difference between an oil being overkill, vs it being unsuitable because its not the standard recommended grade. Factory fill in Europe is 0w30 SLX Castrol. I'm fairly certain my dealer would've said something silly if I brought that in as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ssicarman View Post
    3 year warranty?????

ouch

The nice thing about this is that they would need to prove that it was your oil choice that caused the problem.

What oil are you using in your diesel?
    We only get a 3 Year Warranty over this side of the Pond whereas I believe you guys get 5 years?

I understand that even though the engine oil goes black within a couple of days use each manufacturer has their own 'signature' built into their product, a bit like DNA so if an engine is claimed to have 'failed' on a warranty claim the oil can be analysed to prove or dis-prove it was the cause.

I am on Millers Oil on the spec for the engine, but at the moment its pitch dark on the campsite here in Morocco so I ain't going outside to get the details as I brought 6 Litres with me just in case!

Hmmm, in my D5, I have used Mobil1 and also Castrol A5/B5 spec. The dealer has put either in the car for me without quibble.

I usually take 2 x 4 litres to the garage for the service - as XCovlov70 says, some dealers are happier with this than others...
    2009 xc70 SE Geartronic
    2012 Land Rover Defender "Puma" 2.4
    BMW K1200RS

The US/North American specs are edited down to list what is available in NA versus Europe.
    0W40 is HUGELY popular in Europe and it usually exceeds the requirements by a HUGE margin whereas the NA readily available oils just barely meet the requirements.
    What can be called "full synthetic" in NA in many cases would not be classed as synthetic in ACEA testing.
    ILSAC and API are oil company puppets where ACEA is manufacturer influenced.

Quote Originally Posted by cattlecar View Post
    The US/North American specs are edited down to list what is available in NA versus Europe.
    0W40 is HUGELY popular in Europe and it usually exceeds the requirements by a HUGE margin whereas the NA readily available oils just barely meet the requirements.
    What can be called "full synthetic" in NA in many cases would not be classed as synthetic in ACEA testing.
    ILSAC and API are oil company puppets where ACEA is manufacturer influenced.
    While I think you make a very valid point 'cattlecar' from memory I think I have only seen ACEA letters on oil here in the UK.

I went out to 'Flamenco Red' just now even though the temperature over here is around 0C (32F) and got the 1ltr bottle of the engine oil I use to see what it says:

"Millers Oils XF Long Life Fully Synthetic extended drain interval 5w30 ACEA A5/B5 - 08"

I used to use 0w30 on the previous XC70 which although it cost me around £50 ($75) for 5 Litres it was cheaper than a lot of the well known names but fully met the requirement spec for the engine on 18,000 mile engine oil changes.

Now with this XC70 the spec for the D5 has been changed to 5w30 and the oil is a lot less at the accessory shop at around £35 ($52) for 5 litres will if I got the oil put in at my dealer it would set me back DOUBLE the price I pay in the accessory shop, through something called PROFIT.

I found out last year that while we are paying £80/Hour ($120/hour) Labour charges at Volvo Dealers in the UK in Portugal you pay less than half that price!
    BUT.

In the UK the purchase price of the car is less than in Portugal while the labour charges are less because you pay more for the car, (Crazy but true!) but while the oil doesn't come in a Blue 'Volvo Box' but normally in 50 UK Gallon Drums the dealers can hike the price, which is why some of them get upset when you roll up with your own oil and they start bitching with all sorts of tales as it affects their profit, but so long as it meets spec then I couldn't give a rats-ass!

Ps. They also charge you to dispose of the old oil here in the UK!
    I did at one point ask for it back as I used it on the garden fence!