Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Bearing Replacement Question

Is the white plastic ring supposed to be removed? Is it just there for shipping purposes? It is not pictured in the included diagram that shows how to spread the grease... This is an OEM part from FCP.

I don't recall any white plastic in any of the VOLVO bearing plates I have bought
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

That's a rear wheel bearing, and you leave that plastic retainer in. That's what holds the grease seal in place. Do NOT take it off!! As for the grease....smear it around the black area and the steel splined section. There should also be a dark grey plastic dust shield provided with the bearing kit. Remove the large "ear" on it; the one without the screw hole, and squeeze it into place over the axle stub (push axle inwards as far as possible) so it's behind the opening for the bearing. Then, put the bearing in place and bolt it in. Throw any other plastic rings away.....they are not used. Make sure to remove the speed sensor from the knuckle before putting the plastic dust shield in place. The dust shield is held in place by the screw for the speed sensor cable rubber grommet mounting bracket. Make sure the shield is in place OVER that bracket, as the bracket is located in place in the knuckle with a small "nub".

Dave.
    Our Most Probable Fate Is Death !!!

Thank you!

Hi guys I have an 03 that I am doing the passenger side rear bearing on. I removed the large square tab but when trying to get it to fit in the speed sensor is in the way for it to fit into the opening. Do you have to cut that curved piece of the dust shield into a slot so it slides into or over the sensor?? Thanks in advance

No ones got any input on this... I was hoping someone did so I wouldn't have to take it to the dealer.

Just looking at your picture I thought that the white plastic piece is a shipping protector. Did a search of FCP Euro for 2004 XC70 wheel bearings. None of the pictures show the plastic piece. I know for certain (Honda, Mercedes) that many ABS systems use the inner bearing seal as a reluctor ring. Check your old bearing to see if the inner seal is slightly magnetic. If it is then that plastic piece needs to go.
    Further if there was no plastic piece on the original bearing.....

If it is then that plastic piece needs to go.
    NO......the plastic piece does NOT need to go. It's there to help hold the seal (in which is the signal ring) in place, as well as to continuously scrape dirt or any other buildup off the seal, so as to maintain the ring's abilities to be read. Take it from a Volvo tech.....leave it alone!!

Dave.

Hi guys I have an 03 that I am doing the passenger side rear bearing on. I removed the large square tab but when trying to get it to fit in the speed sensor is in the way for it to fit into the opening. Do you have to cut that curved piece of the dust shield into a slot so it slides into or over the sensor?? Thanks in advance
    The sensor should just slip right back in place, kind of angle it in. Question....are you installing the dirt deflector so that it is cupped inwards/into the knuckle? Can you line up the screw hole in the deflector with the hole for the ABS sensor wire bracket? I find it easiest to get the sensor in place before I tighten the axle back in place; i.e...leave axle pushed partly out of the bearing for now. The other possibility is that you've been given the bearing kit for the opposite side of the car. The bearings are the same for both sides.....the deflectors are not. With the deflector properly in place you should see what looks like a little drainway at the bottom.

Dave.

ok I am going go check right now, I hope it is the one I need, cause if not the old one goes back in for another day till I can get the other dirt deflector. I am installing mine so that the cupped area points in towards the rear differential. Yes the hole lines up with the one for the abs sensor wire bracket.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast