Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

If gear selector function is reduced, could it cause confusion to the TCM giving too much torque off the line, hence the wheel spin?
    Anyway, you definitely needs to have the codes read to make sure what exactly is wrong.
    2002 V70XC w/volvoXC.com stickers! MTE Stage 3+

I appreciate everyone's help, I think we may be onto something about too much off the line because this morning I just drove through the largest storm we have had this year. Once I got going everything went smooth, even up some nasty unplowed hills. I just fear if I had to stop for whatever reason on one of those hills I would not be able to start again. We'll see if I can make it up my driveway.

Quote Originally Posted by shinola View Post
    How new are the snow tires on the vehicle? I know at least with summer tires it can take a couple hundred miles for them to wear in and perform their best, could this potentially be the case with your snows?
    Only a couple hundred miles on them.

As much as I hate to say this, try winter mode (W)
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

Quote Originally Posted by slione View Post
    I found this video on YouTube. It would indicate that what is being experienced is consistent with the way the VC functions. It also illustrates the point wgriswold makes referencing post #9 in the other thread. So get the front wheels spinning enough in these situations and the rears should kick in eventually, I guess. Not an ideal system which is probably why it was redesigned for 2003.
    The old VC does NOT engage until the vehicle is moving (exactly how much "moving", I don't know) I tied the car to a mature tree, made sure the grass in my field was wet then tried to drive away - gently then - not so. Front wheels span madly and the rears - zilch.
    Attached the same tree and rope to an early XC90 - result was as you would expect.

Volvo UK kindly (?) gave me some money to "go away"

For some reason both paddles (or whatever) need to be spinning before the goo transmits any power.
    Mike.

Mine: XC 70 Sport 2009 D5 Inscription Electric Blue.
    VNS, DSTC and 4C, BLIS, LDW ventilated leather ACC; Yummy.

All gone now - XC70 MY 13 SE LUX Flamenco red - goes better than the '09 even with its "Polestar plus" upgrade. I justy miss the PCC...

Hers: V60 Flamenco Red 215HP D5 (like above XC70 spec)

With the V/C AWD the rear tires must turn at least 1- 7th of a rotation.
    If the car isn't moving (ie: tied to a tree) it won't work.
    Even early Haldex systems won't start until (I believe) 1-5th of a rotation. Not until 2006 and "instant traction was programed into the Haldex, will it then work immediately

2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

Quote Originally Posted by TrueBlue View Post
    The old VC does NOT engage until the vehicle is moving (exactly how much "moving", I don't know) I tied the car to a mature tree, made sure the grass in my field was wet then tried to drive away - gently then - not so. Front wheels span madly and the rears - zilch.
    Attached the same tree and rope to an early XC90 - result was as you would expect.

Volvo UK kindly (?) gave me some money to "go away"

For some reason both paddles (or whatever) need to be spinning before the goo transmits any power.
    I guess that may be part of the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
    Even early Haldex systems won't start until (I believe) 1-5th of a rotation. Not until 2006 and "instant traction was programed into the Haldex, will it then work immediately
    JRL, can "instant traction" be programmed into the 03-05 cars?

-2003 Volvo XC70 AUTO AWD with 110,000mi
    - IPD boost hoses, IPD solid strut tower brace mounts
    -DDM 55w HID headlight upgrade w/5000K bulbs
    -Amsoil ATF, Amsoil ATF in Power Steering
    -Amsoil Gear oil, Amsoil Engine oil and Amsoil nanofiber air filter
    - 1/2 Turn on factory wastegate

No

Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
    I think that explains what I saw. The car was backing out of a flat driveway and the rear tires were stuck in a small icy depression at the end of the driveway. The front tires were spinning on the snowy driveway but couldn't move the rear tires out of the depression so the rear tires were not rotating and thus no AWD. This was an 01 or 02. I have not experienced such behavior with my 03. If I had I wouldn't keep it.

I want AWD or 4x4 to get me going from a stop. Once I am going I don't have much use for it. When I had my 1980 DL I preferred it to my 4x4 truck once the vehicles were moving. The DL although only rear wheel drive tracked better and I felt more in control.
    Wait Griswold
    2003 XC70
    South Lake Tahoe, CA

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast