Default mystery rear lock

Good day all,

Im a proud owner of a 2004 XC 70. It was in a minor rear ender. I can tell you first hand that these vehicles are incredably strong. Im a licensed body man by trade, then became a police officer. The rear end panel is crazy strong. The damage wasnt much to look at, the lift gate was damaged the hinge was bent and the corner pushed in a bit. The other vehicle that caused the collision (ford fusion) was a write off (total loss).

If this was a ford, gm or toyota the panel could be pulled out with a home made 35 lbs slide hammer. This volvo needed to be set up and pulled by ram. Regardless, everything put together, everything working correctly except the rear lift gate lock.

The gate is locked when the unlock button is pushed, and then the gate is unlocked when the lock button is pushed. I was present during the repair process and the lift gate that was a used OEM lift gate. Everything was connected as per experience.

Funny thing.

The volvo has 2027892 km. She pulls hard drives like an arrow and feel real safe. The stereo is incredable as compared to other cars I have had (HU630) with the tape function. I see no noticable rust anywhere, these cars are awesome.

In closing, Im very pleased with this car so far, I dont know the service history however it looks real clean and the body is straight.

Any input would greatly be appreicated. I want to hold on to this gem for a long time.

Regards,

Not sure what you're asking but these locks fail all the time anyway... so it probably got damaged in the accident and you need a new one.
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

Tks for that JRL, you are truly a great resource. Thing is, is that it works. It seems that the polarity is reversed. Its just the opposite action.

The simple fix would be to turn the wires around, however the componets are all plug specific.

Any idea's my friend??

Regards

That's just plain weird
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

I believe there is a reset sequence for the locks/windows. I had an ignition lock out issue and found this reset procedure online. It did not fix my problem (which was new FOB battery). I make no claims to its validity, and any advice with the words smellybum in the URL should be a cause for pause... but perhaps it will solve your issue. Or I remember reading here about some other sequence with manually locking/unlocking the driver door that will reset the locks. Search it out or maybe a seasoned member will post it. Good Luck..

http://www.smellybum.co.uk/Reset%20o...lvo%20cars.pdf

**Reset of locks and window mechanism on Volvo cars"""

Try performing a reset of the UEM (Upper Electronic Module), this
    controls the door locks and window operation:
    - Close all of the doors and bonnet.
    - Key in position II engine not running.
    - Hold both the driver window and passenger window switches in the
    driver door panel in the closed or up position for 5 to 8 seconds after the
    windows are closed.
    - Release buttons.
    - Remove the ignition key.
    - Operated the remote twice. lock/unlock lock/unlock.
    This will reset the UEM brain. This can correct faulty operation of the
    sunroof and/or erratic door lock function.
    in my car i had a similar sounding problem, i found it was stary signals
    from nearby antenna mast and some wifi.."""

Quote Originally Posted by Canadiancopper View Post

The volvo has 2027892 km. .....
    Over 2 million km? Wow, that is impressive Just kidding but curious as to the real odometer reading.

Just to update folks here, I pulled the electrical tape at the hinge and found out that the wires were all butchered up. We used the same wiring harness that came with the used part. Exposed wires, plastic connectors and such. Well I fixed it up by splicing the wires farther back in the liftgate replacing all of the old brittle wire that is at the left side hinge. Tried the locks again, no go.

I then looked at the plastic connector and with a test light figured which wire was being powered when the lock and unlock was used. Since the splicing of wires were still open (wires not heatshrunk and taped together), I swapped the pink and grey wires. Just opposite from factory.

No idea why this has happened, but it works!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tks again for the membership of knowledge.

MS

This is strange. But there has to be a reasonable explanation. One explanation could be that the original unit
    is from a different MY than the current one and that the wiring is not the same. This seems to be the case
    for MY2004 compared to MY2005, see the pdf page for both years. The tailgate lock is item 3/78 for both.
    Willy
    Attached Files Attached Files
    144 GL (1974)--->244 GL (1982)--->940 GLE 2.3i (1992)--->XC70 2.5T (2004)--->XC90 T5 (2018)