Default Imported post

I have about 15,000 miles on my 2003 XC70 and very shortly after purchase the passenger seat belt would lock up and continue to tighten till it almost choked you.  If you sat back in the seat and the belt had any slack, it would retract and not come back out.   Had dealer check it out and they finally had a lock up and replaced it.  Now again it does the same thing and the driver side does it now also but not as often.  The passenger side would lock after only about 15 minutes driving, sometimes even shorter.  You would than have to release the belt, let it fully retract and than pull it out.  Anybody else had this trouble?  It does not seem to make a difference if you pull it out all the way or just as far as you need it to latch it around you.

Thanks

Kevin

Default Imported post

My passenger side one has done that on a few occasions and it is a PITA. If it persists I will have them replace it.

Jason
    Jason,

Riding with the Big Dog.

Default Imported post

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Snifferdude @ July 06 2003,20:51)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I have about 15,000 miles on my 2003 XC70 and very shortly after purchase the passenger seat belt would lock up and continue to tighten till it almost choked you. If you sat back in the seat and the belt had any slack, it would retract and not come back out. Had dealer check it out and they finally had a lock up and replaced it. Now again it does the same thing and the driver side does it now also but not as often. The passenger side would lock after only about 15 minutes driving, sometimes even shorter. You would than have to release the belt, let it fully retract and than pull it out. Anybody else had this trouble? It does not seem to make a difference if you pull it out all the way or just as far as you need it to latch it around you.

Thanks

Kevin[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    If you pull the seatbelt all the way out you are engaging the Auto Locking Retractor system which is designed for holding loads/child seats in place. &nbsp;Check your owner&#39;s manual. &nbsp;This is not a malfunction, but rather a specific feature of the car.

2005 XC70 Barents Blue & Taupe leather, deliv. 12/04, built 11/04
    Prem / Conv / Climate / DSTC / NAV / 650 / Sirius / 60/40 / 3rd Row / Boosters / Thule / Weathertech mats / Mud Flaps / 46% Tint / Nokian WR SUVs

serviced by Red Bank Volvo, NJ & Volvo Westport, CT
    2001 V70XC~someone else's problem vehicle now
    VolvoClub ofAmerica

Default Imported post

My 12 yo daughter, who sits in the back passenger seat often complains of the seat belt locking on her sporadically. &nbsp;I&#39;ve always assumed it&#39;s part of the safety feature, and her moving in the seat in a jerky fashion. &nbsp;It locks on my while slowing down to merge into a lane and I&#39;m trying to lean forward to look at oncoming traffic.