Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Do you really need a computer to change emergency brake pads?

I had my 2007 Volvo XC70 wagon in for service yesterday and the service guy said that the emergency brake pads had failed. When I said that I would replace them myself, he said that I would need a computer to do the job because something in the cars software had to be reset or adjusted or something. Is this true? Sounded a little fishy but I did not know enough to argue. Any comments?

Rubbish, I have an 04 and did it myself in my garage.

05-07 is slightly different, but I don't think there is any difference in our eBrake assemblies
    2013 XC70 T6, Premier Plus, BLIS Black/Black 18K miles, stock
    2004 XC70 Premium, Convenience, Climate Blue/Tan 122K miles, 2007+ ABL lights, IPD sways F & R, TME exhaust, SS brake lines, R Brembo calipers & rotors, Akebono ceramic pads F & R (replaced PCV, power steering rack, struts and springs, end links, ball joints, A-arms, all fluids)

Actually, you might inquire how the ebrake pads failed. What I most commonly read about is the pads delaminates while driving and destroys everything inside the rotor. Quite messy. If this is your issue and was caught early before the pad material came free, count your blessings

And yes, not aware of any computer needed for this job.
    Past Volvos : 01 V70 T5, 01/02 V70XC, 02 V70 NA, 00 V70XC
    Current EV/Hybrid : 13 Tesla S85, 11 Gen3 Prius
    Friends cars under my care 17 Audi A4 Quattro DSG (B9) 05 Audi A4 Manual 6sp Quattro (B7) 04 e320 V6 Auto, 05 Accord 2.4, 08 Element 2.4, 08 Camry Hybrid
    Past Others : 01/03 VW MK4 Turbo/NA/01M. Gen1 Prius, Gen1 CRV, Gen2 Rav4, 02 Town&Country, 06 Corolla, 12 Audi A4 Quattro (B8), 07 Civic 1.6
    https://sites.google.com/view/howardsvolvos

Quote Originally Posted by twooldvolvos View Post
    I had my 2007 Volvo XC70 wagon in for service yesterday and the service guy said that the emergency brake pads had failed. When I said that I would replace them myself, he said that I would need a computer to do the job because something in the cars software had to be reset or adjusted or something. Is this true? Sounded a little fishy but I did not know enough to argue. Any comments?
    I'd be finding another place to service my Volvo after an answer like that. He's trying to use the "veil of mystery" over a fairly simple repair. I'd bet he would have quoted a decently high price to go with it too. The really funny thing is that Volvo has used this type of e-brake arrangement for years, back to the Series 200 days, essentially unchanged. You'd think it would just require a simple quote for the job without all the crap.

And yes, you can easily do them yourself. Some instances can be a bit harder than others but well within the realm of the average DIYer. As a suggestion, do not use Volvo e-brake shoes as you will just have the problem again. Go aftermarket and it doesn't hurt to have a few of the retaining springs around as well. They have a tendency to get bent out of shape during the removal process especially if they have any age on them. Brake heat must make them loose a bit of their temper. They only cost a couple of bucks a pop (which is outrageous considering) and you need 4. Also use a bit of brake grease at the contact points and you should be good to go for quite some time.

Cheers,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff

VERY fishy...second all that Bill said. If you can do drum brakes, you can do these (because that's what they are, drum brakes inside the rotor "hat", with mechanical vs. hydraulic actuation...).

I wouldn't trust this guy with my car ever again, find another service guy...
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (130K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (58K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (147K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (247K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (300K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (230K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

Bull doody
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

Quote Originally Posted by billr99 View Post
    I'd be finding another place to service my Volvo after an answer like that. He's trying to use the "veil of mystery" over a fairly simple repair. I'd bet he would have quoted a decently high price to go with it too. The really funny thing is that Volvo has used this type of e-brake arrangement for years, back to the Series 200 days, essentially unchanged. You'd think it would just require a simple quote for the job without all the crap.

And yes, you can easily do them yourself. Some instances can be a bit harder than others but well within the realm of the average DIYer. As a suggestion, do not use Volvo e-brake shoes as you will just have the problem again. Go aftermarket and it doesn't hurt to have a few of the retaining springs around as well. They have a tendency to get bent out of shape during the removal process especially if they have any age on them. Brake heat must make them loose a bit of their temper. They only cost a couple of bucks a pop (which is outrageous considering) and you need 4. Also use a bit of brake grease at the contact points and you should be good to go for quite some time.

Cheers,

Bill
    Funny thing is that the guy who told me this was calling me from my local Volvo dealership. I'm tempted to document this situation and blow the dealership in to Volvo. (After I get done pressing him when I pick up my car.) I would only do so when I was totally sure they were scamming me.

I picked my car up Friday from the dealership. When I pressed the service manager to explain why I needed a computer to change my ebrake pads, he explained that I needed the software to reset the "button". I explained that I have a lever not a button. To which he replied that he thought I had the button, not the lever and that I could indeed have changed my own ebrake pads. I really hate the Stealership.

Quote Originally Posted by twooldvolvos View Post
    I picked my car up Friday from the dealership. When I pressed the service manager to explain why I needed a computer to change my ebrake pads, he explained that I needed the software to reset the "button". I explained that I have a lever not a button. To which he replied that he thought I had the button, not the lever and that I could indeed have changed my own ebrake pads. I really hate the Stealership.
    What the hell is "The Button"?! Be around a lot of Volvos in my day and have never heard of or seen that.

Cheers,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff

Electronic e-brake on late model Volvos - button activates it, you hear a solenoid noise, and the brake is set...
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (130K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (58K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (147K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (247K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (300K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (230K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast