Default oil Breather update

Okay so I read allot about this project ahead of time so less surprises. What a PITA job. Really stupid design for something that needs service but I guess the engineers were forced to cram it all into a small space. Anyway, when I took the breather hose off that had the 17mm bolt on it lots of oil came out, is that normal?

You took the banjo bolt off and a puddle of oil came out. I had the same thing on my 01 V70XC at 116k miles. I reasoned what happened is the following

- The 2mm channel in the nipple is blocked (mine was)
    - oil vapor from the intake manifold can't exit through that channel
    - oil vapor gather on the walls and form a puddle right in that corner of the intake manifold

Anyhow, your 2mm channel must be blocked?
    Past Volvos : 01 V70 T5, 01/02 V70XC, 02 V70 NA, 00 V70XC
    Current EV/Hybrid : 13 Tesla S85, 11 Gen3 Prius
    Friends cars under my care 17 Audi A4 Quattro DSG (B9) 05 Audi A4 Manual 6sp Quattro (B7) 04 e320 V6 Auto, 05 Accord 2.4, 08 Element 2.4, 08 Camry Hybrid
    Past Others : 01/03 VW MK4 Turbo/NA/01M. Gen1 Prius, Gen1 CRV, Gen2 Rav4, 02 Town&Country, 06 Corolla, 12 Audi A4 Quattro (B8), 07 Civic 1.6
    https://sites.google.com/view/howardsvolvos

Howard, it turns out the oil was really coolant since they join there for some unknown reason. I had removed the tube coming from the thermostat and it came out. Not being versed in all this and also not tracking the liquid, I jumped to the conclusion it was oil. Funny how we override common sense about certain things!
    Just finished the breather epic. Biggest deal was of course the almighty banjo fitting. I should have remounted it to the intake manifold before I remounted the manifold. However, I would never recommend for the DIY person to take the alternator and all the related stuff off because it's much easier to remove or loosen the intake manifold and use a closed end pivoting wrench to tighten.
    Haven't started yet but seals are next so I'm still basically where I started, except I've eliminated the breather issue...maybe.