Question Heating issues over the holiday!

This is my first Volvo. I bought it to replace my Bimmer after a snow plow plowed into it last winter. I have a 2000 V70XC AWD 2.4. Have had it for a year or so. I'm at 173,000miles.

The little car has been great! I've driven it on several long road trips. It has enough room for everyone. Just a good little car! A little heavy, but I like it.

Of course, it would pick a holiday weekend to go sour! And, to kick it off, my truck has been laid up BC it needs a new clutch. So, two working adults and zero cars. It's been fun. *rolls eyes*

My expansion tank sprung a leak! I called Volvo Saturday. They said that this was actually a common problem with the cars. Need a new coolant tank and thermostat, but the parts won't be in until Wednesday or Thursday. Happy Labour Day!

My husband has never had a problem working of euros before. We've owned BMW, Mercedes, VW and Porsche. He has always handled the maintenance. Since we can't get the parts, he used an apoxy to seal the tank. He said that my driving would be limited to work and that's it. No problem.

Well, it didn't hold. The temp stayed normal and it never smoked, but the car just flat out died. Dead. Dead. Tries to turn over, but nothing. Lights. Windows. Radio. My husband has had the battery charger on it all afternoon. Still dead. He pulled the battery to clear the ECU and reconnected. Still nothing.

Coincidence? My battery and cooling system are both out? Or are they one in the same problem? I have read that Volvo has a protection mode that shuts the car down, but I don't know if that is what's happening.

I don't think it's the head gasket. I haven't heard that classic ticking noise.

Any insight?

TIA!

Sounds like you have an electrical issue.
    Car won't run without power.

Is there still coolant in it? Just checking.
    It may well be that you have a bad alternator,
    cables, connectors or something relatively simple.
    Simple neglect of the charging system can lead
    to the experience that you've described.

I wouldn't be too worried about big problems
    until you get the electrical issue cleared up.

'98 " Last of the Good Ones!" V70 R
    Upsolute ECU - E-Codes/SilverStars - ArcticGrade Oil Lines - HD SkidPlate - Spoiler - XC Grill -