Default Help! I need advice..

Im considering buying a 1996 Volvo 850. It has 238,000 kms on it. Visually in very good shape.
    However, owner had it inspected at a transmission shop and they were unable to pull tranny dip stick out (stuck)
    The alternator belts need replacing.
    The heater hose, radiator hose are still the origianal.
    Stereo doesnt work, and the front tires rub on inside of wheel well if it goes over a small bump. As well it doesnt like turning sharply (struts?)
    Brakes need repalcing.
    The A/C is making a horrible clicking sound.

I have never owned a volvo, but am wanting to get a super safe car for my son. This person is a friend and I like the car. Im worried I may be buying a money pit! What should I be looking for? Is this year a good year or should I re consider??

Thanks to any and all that may have any words of wisdom for me

Well I'm no Volvo expert, but from a practical point of view I'd say avoid this car. You already have a long list of repairs to make, and those are only the KNOWN issues. Who knows what exle coupld go wrong at this point.

With that kind of mileage, it's a matter of WHEN, not IF, that you're going to have more repairs to make.

I would keep looking. No sense buying the kid a "safe" car that leaves him stranded by the side of the road some night.

If it were my kid, I'd be looking for something alot newer. That car is already 16 years old.

As much as I hate to say it, if you're going to get him a car from the mid-90's, I'd have to suggest a Honda or Toyota. Or mid-90's Jeep Cherokees are reasonably cheap too, and while not very good on gas, they're generally pretty reliable and easy/cheap to fix. Or if you're set on a Volvo, it seems that early to mid '00's Volvo's are pretty reasonably priced.