Chip

Quite apart from stating the obvious there must be something more in it?

Surely there must be a different type of driving thingy underneath not just bigger springs or shocks, the cars looks different as well, I think the hood/bonnet is more raised to give a different body line.

It would be like buying the V70 instead of the V70R because I don't drive that fast, so I don't need a racey engine!

What would be very interesting would be to 'pose' your AWD beside a XC and photograph them, then apart from the height I think you would see a different car.

I don't think the XC is a cosmetic AWD (and someone will point out they all share the same platform again) but a 'safer' car to drive as you have AWD. The XC on the other hand is for people who want a SUV but don't want the BIG approach. That was the main reason for me getting it.

Also I think the AWD will have less (if you can say so) off road capabilities than the XC. I have also heard the XC70 has a higher ground clearance than the XC90

It will be very interesting to see whether you feel you are driving a 'car' again after the XC