Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Good luck, let us know if this fixes your problems
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

Quote Originally Posted by TexasXC View Post
    Thanks for the feedback!

Anyone know of a way to "bench test" a coil pack? Impedance/resistance? Voltage?

Btw, the Volvo house here just tried to r*pe me for $67.58 for OE plug set and $56.90 for the same parts at ipd. Told him I would love to buy from him if he could get close to ipd's price, called me a liar when I told what is was and hung up on me. Jackholes.

Park Place Volvo in Dallas = worthless
    My strategy for dealing with the dealer parts guy is to price over the phone as well...but they will always give me 10% off for being part of the Volvo club, I just ask nicely...he's a busy guy, I doubt he has time for phone price debates since he doesn't set those prices...

If you need parts in a hurry, they are the only game in town...if you can wait, then you can afford to be price-conscious...and by the time you pay shipping, a $10 difference is irrelevant, hardly r*pe...
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

Alright here's the skinny:

The parts manager at Volvo of Dallas was a complete different animal - gave me everything at wholesale and apologized for the guy at Park Place. Much better experience - I even offered to pay more than that, but he insisted. Anyone in Texas, call David at Volvo of Dallas.

I changed my plugs to OEM and I still have a misfire - seems like #1 is still missing badly.

Swapped my coil packs with #1 and #5 - seems the miss is still on #1. I unplugged #1 and it ran the same... :-(

I am a little skeptical of throwing $250 in a set of IPD coil packs on the car only to have it run the same, so I need to properly diagnose before hanging parts in a desperate attempt to have her run.

New fuel filter installed - OE filter at 150k - didn't even seem that dirty. Also seems like more than adequate fuel pressure at the rail.

I have only scanned it with OBDII - gonna track down an indy (got his name from David at VoD) who has VIDA on Monday to see if there are other DTC present that might not be reading with a generic OBDII scanner.

What else? Failing ECM? Did I piss off a Swedish deity?

I am decent at "fault, code, part, solution" type problems, but this is truly puzzling. I am trying to attack it from an air-fuel-spark approach and it seems I have everything in place. I am getting no air leak/vacuum leak codes so all I can surmise at this point is that my ECM is not giving the coil packs proper firing signals.

Could I have a bad injector? Would that throw a separate and discreet code?

I have access to all sorts of electrical equipment - oscilloscopes, meters, etc. - is there any troubleshooting I can do to verify my coils are getting firing voltage/signals at the proper time?

I know we have some techs on here so any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Maybe you have a stuck ring, try a Seafoam treatment

2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

If you are down to only the #1 cylinder misfiring and pretty much everything else done
    I would try a couple of things. Cylinder compression test and swapping the #1 injector with another cylinder. Compression test will let you know if you have a mechnical problem, low compression causing the misfire. Injector swap will let you know if you have a bad injector causing the misfire. Along with the injector swap you want to make sure that the wiring to the injector is good. Easiest best way to check the wiring is to get a noid light that will plug into the injector connector. Crank/start the engine to see if the noid light has a good strong flash from the power plulse that activates the injector.

Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
    Maybe you have a stuck ring, try a Seafoam treatment
    Not trying to be an idiot, just want to make sure I understand you correctly - are you referring to adding Seafoam to my crankcase and then following the directions from there?

Yes.
    If, by chance, that is the problem, I've had great results with Seafoam
    (it can't hurt)!

Quote Originally Posted by ssicarman View Post
    If you are down to only the #1 cylinder misfiring and pretty much everything else done
    I would try a couple of things. Cylinder compression test and swapping the #1 injector with another cylinder. Compression test will let you know if you have a mechnical problem, low compression causing the misfire. Injector swap will let you know if you have a bad injector causing the misfire. Along with the injector swap you want to make sure that the wiring to the injector is good. Easiest best way to check the wiring is to get a noid light that will plug into the injector connector. Crank/start the engine to see if the noid light has a good strong flash from the power plulse that activates the injector.
    Unfamiliar with a noid light - where would I acquire one of these little gems? Can I rent one if they are a little pricey?

Quote Originally Posted by TexasXC View Post
    Unfamiliar with a noid light - where would I acquire one of these little gems? Can I rent one if they are a little pricey?
    If you have a local parts store that rents out tools they may have a set to available rent/buy.

http://www.noidlight.com/using-a-noi...tep-procedure/

Whole bunch of sets on sale on Ebay. You don't need one of the more expensive sets if you have to buy your own. I have what would be one of the 15-20$ sets on Ebay.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast