Question Non- iPod, iPod Touch integration with 07'XC70

I have iMiV iPod adapter in my 07' XC70, has been using it with an old iPod Nano,
    but I am tired of the iTunes problems talking to it from WindoZ, so I am thinking of moving on either to a new iPod Touch, or better even - something Android-based with the USB connection, something like Samsung Galaxy non-phone, or similar?.

1) Does new 4th gen iPod Touch have any problem with the iMiv iPod adapter?
    2) Is there a way to integrate a non-Apple USB-connectable player tighter than just Aux input? At least have it also charging the device, and of course having control over the playlists and volume form the steering wheel, like iPod via iMiv would be the ultimate.

Art is offline Senior Member & VolvoXC.com Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by 740gle View Post
    I have iMiV iPod adapter in my 07' XC70, has been using it with an old iPod Nano,
    but I am tired of the iTunes problems talking to it from WindoZ, so I am thinking of moving on either to a new iPod Touch, or better even - something Android-based with the USB connection, something like Samsung Galaxy non-phone, or similar?.

1) Does new 4th gen iPod Touch have any problem with the iMiv iPod adapter?
    2) Is there a way to integrate a non-Apple USB-connectable player tighter than just Aux input? At least have it also charging the device, and of course having control over the playlists and volume form the steering wheel, like iPod via iMiv would be the ultimate.
    Hi Michael,

If your iMIV is a pre-MFI compliant device, there is a possibility you might experience a glitch with the iPod Touch. More here.

As an option, you could always send your 'Classic' in and have it upgraded to make it MFI compliant therefore ensuring compatibility.

http://www.imiv.ca/cms/products/prod...grade-package/

Quote Originally Posted by Art View Post
    Hi Michael,

If your iMIV is a pre-MFI compliant device, there is a possibility you might experience a glitch with the iPod Touch. More here.

As an option, you could always send your 'Classic' in and have it upgraded to make it MFI compliant therefore ensuring compatibility.

http://www.imiv.ca/cms/products/prod...grade-package/
    Thanks, Art,
    is there an easy way to fond out whether my iMIV is pre- MFI compliant, or not? That upgrade is $89 more...
    -Michael

Art is offline Senior Member & VolvoXC.com Supporter

The release date for the new MFI iMIV was around May 2011 so it's likely your unit isn't MFI compliant. If it was, you would see the Apple authentication symbol pop up on your device screen when you plugged it in. In addition, the dock connector is slightly different than the previous version.

Quote Originally Posted by 740gle View Post
    Is there a way to integrate a non-Apple USB-connectable player tighter than just Aux input? At least have it also charging the device, and of course having control over the playlists and volume form the steering wheel, like iPod via iMiv would be the ultimate.
    Google announced an open access protocol for USB accessories just over a year ago. Judging from the website, things are still in the development phase.
    http://www.open-accessories.com/

I use a Motorola Droid 4 phone with the Vehicle Dock in my '07.

http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-DROID.../dp/B0068W6MTC

It gives me music, dual port charging so the wife can charge her phone also. It also makes the phone a GPS device with Google Map integrated. I can play music from the phone or streaming from the net, use Navigation and make a hands-free call all at the same time. The music stops and restarts when I hang up.
    1987 Volvo 740 - White (gone)
    2005 Volvo V50 - Radio Flyer, aka Lil' Red Wagon(hers)
    2007 Volvo XC70 - Ice White (his)