Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Do you or don't you? Really...

First, some background to make clear what I am not asking about...

I know that the pre-2002 VC70 XC Turbos used the Magneti Marelli Throttle Body and that:

(1) It was trouble prone

(2) It got a software update from Volvo and you can tell if it did by the yellow sticker on it vs the white original one.

(3) If you replaced it with a new one you had to get the dealer to install/run some software to "mate" the new unit to the ECM.

(4) XeMODeX will provide a re-built/mod'd unit with the software already installed. No dealer action required, just plug-and-play.

(5) Some V70 XCs w/o turbos continued to use the MM unit for a while in early 2002

I am not asking about any of the above.

============================================

My question is about the 2002 V70 XC AWD with the 2.4L Turbo and it's new Bosch throttle body.

I have read that the dealer doesn't need to do anything after you install a new one because it will self-initialize if you turn the ignition on for 2 minutes without starting the engine.

I have read briefer versions of that insofar as they simply said that, unlike the MM units, the new Bosch TBs didn't need to be taken to the dealer.

I have also read some posts that say that the Bosch has to be taken to the dealer for the same reason and process as the Magneti Marelli units did.

One of the online parts houses had a note on the Bosch part saying "May (emphasis mine) require reprogramming at the car dealership".

Another parts provider made no mention of the need for additional programming by the dealer.

My question is does anyone know the definitive answer? If I install a new-out-of-the-box Bosch throttle body in my 2002 Volvo V70 XC AWD 2.4L Turbo will I really need to take it in to the dealer to get it to work properly?

It would be interesting to hear from a tech who has done this [and not at a Volvo dealership] and knows the answer for sure and from experience.
    Last edited by Howard_Woodard; 05-30-2012 at 12:20 PM.

Xemodex is a well known rebuilder of 01 ETMs. They also seems to be doing an 02 ETM with contactless sensor. You might contact them on your question on if software reload is necessary

http://xemodex.com/technologyimproved/cars/etb-30711554

By the way, how do you know the ETM is bad? Best be sure before throwing money at it. You are near me and I have the VIDA/DiCE tool which has an ETM test feature. I don't know if it works for 02+, we can give it a try. Just PM.
    Past Volvos : 01 V70 T5, 01/02 V70XC, 02 V70 NA, 00 V70XC
    Current EV/Hybrid : 13 Tesla S85, 11 Gen3 Prius
    Friends cars under my care 17 Audi A4 Quattro DSG (B9) 05 Audi A4 Manual 6sp Quattro (B7) 04 e320 V6 Auto, 05 Accord 2.4, 08 Element 2.4, 08 Camry Hybrid
    Past Others : 01/03 VW MK4 Turbo/NA/01M. Gen1 Prius, Gen1 CRV, Gen2 Rav4, 02 Town&Country, 06 Corolla, 12 Audi A4 Quattro (B8), 07 Civic 1.6
    https://sites.google.com/view/howardsvolvos

My question is does anyone know the definitive answer? If I install a new-out-of-the-box Bosch throttle body in my 2002 Volvo V70 XC AWD 2.4L Turbo will I really need to take it in to the dealer to get it to work properly?
    Yes, you will have to pay a visit to the dealer for adaptation of the electronic throttle unit. The engine won't start without the software loading.

Dave.
    Our Most Probable Fate Is Death !!!

The car won't crank, much less run in "Limp Home" mode?

So unless I'm gonna have the car towed in I have no choice but to pay the dealership for installing the ETM?

The car won't crank, much less run in "Limp Home" mode?
    It'll crank....just not start.

So unless I'm gonna have the car towed in I have no choice but to pay the dealership for installing the ETM?
    It's up to you. You can install it, and save a few bucks which you can put towards the tow, or you can just have the dealer do it all for you.

Dave.

Aviator:

Going to hook up my VIDA/DiCE to Ops car this weekend. Know if my VIDA/DiCE can calibrate a newly installed ETM for him rather than going to the dealer? Or does it require software download which requires a subscription which I obviously don't have.

I have 01s so unfamiliar with the 02+ ETMs.
    Friends cars under my care 17 Audi A4 Quattro DSG (B9) 05 Audi A4 Manual 6sp Quattro (B7) 04 e320 V6 Auto, 05 Accord 2.4, 08 Element 2.4, 08 Camry Hybrid
    Past Others : 01/03 VW MK4 Turbo/NA/01M. Gen1 Prius, Gen1 CRV, Gen2 Rav4, 02 Town&Country, 06 Corolla, 12 Audi A4 Quattro (B8), 07 Civic 1.6

You should be able to do just a software reload, but it would be great to have the most current software. I think you'll be stuck with the reload though, given your setup.

Dave.

A word of advice. When you're running VIDA, you'll need to have the ignition on; make sure you've got a charger hooked up to the jump points under the hood so you can maintain over 12 to 12.5 volts at all times. This applies when doing anything with VIDA. At work we call them maintainers. It's crucial with software upgrades, key programming, etc.

Dave.

Question How to download software to the vehicle...

Thanks Dave. I don't have to like the answer, it just has to be correct.

Do you know what is required to be able to download the proper software to the vehicle?
    Last edited by Howard_Woodard; 05-30-2012 at 06:52 PM. Reason: Added a question.

Quote Originally Posted by Aviator View Post
    You should be able to do just a software reload, but it would be great to have the most current software. I think you'll be stuck with the reload though, given your setup.

Dave.
    Thanks for the info Dave. Like to confirm one thing on the reload. Is the current ETM software stored somewhere externally so VIDA/DiCE can trigger a reload to the new ETM? Or is there some way to read it, store it on PC and reload it into the new ETM?

Dealers around Op/I have really high mark up on parts. I asked for an oil filter element once and they quote me $18! and that was 6 years ago. I can understand why the Ops prefer to DIY install of a more reasonably priced online ETM purchase to save on the high marks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast