Default Canadians importing US Volvos

A couple of people have PMed me, asking about importing US Volvos to Canada. (I think I mentioned it in passing in a thread at one point.)

Your best bet is to read through this thread on a different forum as it is unrelated to the discussions here:
    http://forums.redflagdeals.com/wow-n...a-307601/1415/

Check for my posts there if you need advice. I'm always happy to help.

For those of you outside Canada wondering what this is about, there is at least a $10K difference in pricing between Canadian and US Volvos. Given that the Canadian dollar has been around par with the US dollar for a couple of years now, there are significant savings to be had by importing.
    Last edited by phlegm; 05-15-2012 at 05:08 AM.

There was an article in CAA's magazine on associated fees with importation. It's outlined here. Yes the MSRP has significant savings but make sure it is worth it after the fees. The premium cars have significant savings however after the fees, that $10K difference can be as little as 3-4K.

http://www.ama.ab.ca/automotive/cana...ce-differences

1999 V70XC Silver - IPD Sway Bars, IPD TCV, SNABB intake, Amsoil Dry EA nano-fibre panel filter
    2008 C30 T5 Cosmic White Manual - Fun fun fun
    1983 - Volvo DL wagon - RIP - Volvo saved my life.

Use snow tires.
    AWD + all season tires + snow = stuck in deepr $#&@

Thanks for the reply almostarctic.

I don't want to dwell on this thread too long, as it doesn't apply to most of the folks visiting this forum. However, I did want to clarify that I actually saved $10,780 after all fees and taxes on a 2012 XC70 T6. This includes the 6.1% duty (because Volvos are not made in North America and thus don't qualify for the NAFTA exemption), excise tax ($100 for air conditioner), and import fee from Riv.ca (~$200). It also includes my flight down to Pennsylvania, hotel, and gas back home.

The article you offer the URL for is somewhat misleading when it mentions "GST" (our federal tax) as a fee to consider for importation. One must pay the GST regardless of where you purchase the vehicle: US or Canada.

In fact, part of the savings are actually found in the taxes: would you rather pay 13% tax (in the case of the province of Ontario) on a purchase price of $42,000 or $54,000?

I've actually imported 2 other vehicles to date, a 2009 S80 (saving just under $10K net of all fees), and a 2011 GMC Yukon for my father-in-law (saving him almost $15K). I can't speak to other brands, but certainly in the case of Volvo, and high-end SUVs, there are still a lot of savings to be had for the cars I've researched.
    Last edited by phlegm; 10-03-2012 at 03:07 PM.

Default XC70 T6 from US

Quote Originally Posted by phlegm View Post
    Thaks for the reply almostarctic.

I don't want to dwell on this thread too long, as it doesn't apply to most of the folks visiting this forum. However, I did want to clarify that I actually saved $10,780 after all fees and taxes on a 2012 XC70 T6. This includes the 6.1% duty (because Volvos are not made in North America and thus don't qualify for the NAFTA exemption), excise tax ($100 for air conditioner), and import fee from Riv.ca (~$200). It also includes my flight down to Pennsylvania, hotel, and gas back home.

The article you offer the URL for is somewhat misleading when it mentions "GST" (our federal tax) as a fee to consider for importation. One must pay the GST regardless of where you purchase the vehicle: US or Canada.

In fact, part of the savings are actually found in the taxes: would you rather pay 13% tax (in the case of the province of Ontario) on a purchase price of $42,000 or $54,000?

I've actually imported 2 other vehicles to date, a 2009 S80 (saving just under $10K net of all fees), and a 2011 GMC Yukon for my father-in-law (saving him almost $15K). I can't speak to other brands, but certainly in the case of Volvo, and high-end SUVs, there are still a lot of savings to be had for the cars I've researched.

Hello phlegm,
    I have never imported a car from US but now I would like to get 2012 XC70 T6. Currently doing my research. I live in Ottawa and wonder if you have any experience point to share.
    Couple questions: 1) did you go to Volvo dealer for inspection or Canadian Tire is OK?
    2) any issues with the warranty/service?
    3) any modifications were required?

Thanks In advance for your answer **

Quote Originally Posted by Polar View Post
    Hello phlegm,
    I have never imported a car from US but now I would like to get 2012 XC70 T6. Currently doing my research. I live in Ottawa and wonder if you have any experience point to share.
    Couple questions: 1) did you go to Volvo dealer for inspection or Canadian Tire is OK?
    2) any issues with the warranty/service?
    3) any modifications were required?

Thanks In advance for your answer **
    Polar, in reply:
    1. The Canadian Tire inspection is mandatory, and included in the fee you pay for the RIV (www.riv.ca). You don't get an inspection from Volvo.
    2. I've had a ton of warranty work done on my vehicles, both imported. No issues.
    3. No modifications required in order to pass the Canadian Tire inspection.

I'd urge you to check out the redflagdeals forum, especially the first post for the thread I gave the link for. Also check www.riv.ca for more details. Then, have a look for posts by me "phlegm2" in that forum, for Volvo-specific details. You can also PM me in that forum as I'm happy to help and answer more questions.

Folks, last post on this: please don't PM me in this forum on this topic as I don't check them often. In any event, all the importation info you need is in the other forum I mention in my original post. Thx.