Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: MY XC90 v8

Quote Originally Posted by V8IROLL View Post
    It has been fully serviced by our Volvo Certified technicians and detailed, as all of our vehicles are, so buy with confidence from - leading dealer group!

Is what the ad read.

I guess it was made to give false assurance- it worked on me. Sadly
    Ok, so the damage is done and you only learn from your own mistakes, what are you going to do about it next?
    Personally, I think that you have bought a gem. An 2007 XC90 V8 is a great vehicle and with this relatively low mileage you are still a winner. I wished mine was a V8. I would take the car to another Volvo dealer or a trusted private Volvo mechanic for a major tune up, have it thoroughly diagnosed. I will change whatever needs to be changed and fix whatever needs to be fixed for whatever bill this may cost. I have to assume that this bill is part of the vehicle's original price. Think of it as an investment because this car is a keeper,with a good care it will probably last you a life time.
    Only then you will feel good about it, enjoy the revving of that sweet Yamaha V8.
    Good Luck
    Keep us posted.

Stand by what you sell.

Again there was no CPO offered , VOLVO its self- said it was not a certifiable car , because of its in service date, and according to Volvo the car was a lease return with no problems. I got its service records and not one is out of place, I went to both dealerships where the car was serviced.

If the serpentine belt is so easy to detect being wonky, and it is cheap to fix then why not just fix it in the first place and avoid an upset customer? really over a cheap easy fix they wanna make someone upset ?
    And cost me a 300 dollar tow?
    being stuck at night , in nowhere, with my son?
    And all they would have had to do is look at this stupid belt?
    and replace it for cheap ?

"OH ok its an ancient-used car that I have had less then a month."

-The ad read ---"It has been fully serviced by Volvo Certified technicians…
    Expectable for a 5 year old car to need work yes but not one that has just been looked over for big problems aka this belt or the evaporation pump that will make it fail emissions.

I have had the XC90 T6, XC70,V70R, C70 T5, and the S40 & S60.
    I had most of those new or used, they had their problems, but not one of them had an issue with in the first month, lucky ? Maybe it was the Volvo dealership I went to. It was a ma' and pa' Volvo dealership, until they got bought out by some giant dealer group.

I don't blame the dealership for me buying the car. I ask them to stand behind what they sell with in 3 days of ownership and again 3 weeks later.

Part of what l loved about my other Volvo's was the attitude of the dealership, the pitch in attitude, the let me see what we can do. I think Volvo is different now their cars are bubbly the new S60 and XC60 look like clouds, their not sleek anymore they look like they could have come from Acura in my opinion, which is cool.

But things are diffrent, now.

Quote Originally Posted by ARCHITECT View Post
    Ok, so the damage is done and you only learn from your own mistakes, what are you going to do about it next?
    Personally, I think that you have bought a gem. An 2007 XC90 V8 is a great vehicle and with this relatively low mileage you are still a winner. I wished mine was a V8. I would take the car to another Volvo dealer or a trusted private Volvo mechanic for a major tune up, have it thoroughly diagnosed. I will change whatever needs to be changed and fix whatever needs to be fixed for whatever bill this may cost. I have to assume that this bill is part of the vehicle's original price. Think of it as an investment because this car is a keeper,with a good care it will probably last you a life time.
    Only then you will feel good about it, enjoy the revving of that sweet Yamaha V8.
    Good Luck
    Keep us posted.

Thank you for your positive comment. I does make me feel a little bit better to see someone not respond to me negatively, with encouragement.

Its not like a bought a 2003 XC90 T6 with 250,000 miles and am complaining about the transmission. Given my 2007 XC90's millage and age its young in Volvo years.
    My moms V70 2.4 non-turbo lasted 156,000 until my brother was "T" boned and totaled the car, and oppend the door and was able to walk away!!
    Last edited by V8IROLL; 05-29-2012 at 04:28 AM.

Stand by what you sell.

Again there was no CPO offered , VOLVO its self- said it was not a certifiable car , because of its in service date, and according to Volvo the car was a lease return with no problems. I got its service records and not one is out of place, I went to both dealerships where the car was serviced.

If the serpentine belt is so easy to detect being wonky, and it is cheap to fix then why not just fix it in the first place and avoid an upset customer? really over a cheap easy fix they wanna make someone upset ?
    And cost me a 300 dollar tow?
    being stuck at night , in nowhere, with my son?
    And all they would have had to do is look at this stupid belt?
    and replace it for cheap ?

"OH ok its an ancient-used car that I have had less then a month."

-The ad read ---"It has been fully serviced by Volvo Certified technicians…
    Expectable for a 5 year old car to need work yes but not one that has just been looked over for big problems aka this belt or the evaporation pump that will make it fail emissions.

I have had the XC90 T6, XC70,V70R, C70 T5, and the S40 & S60.
    I had most of those new or used, they had their problems, but not one of them had an issue with in the first month, lucky ? Maybe it was the Volvo dealership I went to. It was a ma' and pa' Volvo dealership, until they got bought out by some giant dealer group.

I don't blame the dealership for me buying the car. I ask them to stand behind what they sell with in 3 days of ownership and again 3 weeks later.

Part of what l loved about my other Volvo's was the attitude of the dealership, the pitch in attitude, the let me see what we can do. I think Volvo is different now their cars are bubbly the new S60 and XC60 look like clouds, their not sleek anymore they look like they could have come from Acura in my opinion, which is cool.

But things are diffrent, now.
    You're right about that, things are different now. As we grow our varied layers of government, the resultant complex web of regulation makes it more difficult for small business owners to compete against the large ones. The old-fashioned sense of community and free-market competition that would require a small local business to treat you better than a large corporation dissipates as large businesses take over, which in turn makes it easier for the large sleazy businesses (like the group that bought your local dealer) to rip you off. That method of rip-off is, in fact, both the essence and the point of centralized governmental authority and increased regulation of the free market.

And make no mistake, I suspect that the dealer did rip you off a little. The dealer should stand behind their product, and you should do everything you can to force them to do so. Unfortunately, you have to start that process before the sale. I suspect that if you did buy the car without warranty you probably had to sign a statement declaring that you would accept the car "AS-IS," which should be a screaming signal to have it thoroughly checked out by a competent 3rd party before you buy it.

For clarification:
    Did VCNA say that the car was not qualified to CPO because it "was beyond the CPO in-service date cutoff," or did the selling dealer say that? It would not surprise me if the dealer lied about the ability to CPO the car. They do that all the time, particularly if the car couldn't have been CPOed for some other reason, or would cost "too much" in repairs/replacements/VCNA-fees to CPO. I ask because in a quest to find my 2008 CPO, two dealers told me that very same lie to cover not-wanting to CPO a car because of the associated expenses. I was told basically the same story as you got (one on in-service date and one on miles). Then I did the research, discovered that they had both been lying, and crossed them off the list of dealers from whom I might purchase a car. And frankly it might not have even been dealer policy to lie about that, it might have just been unscrupulous salespeople. Trust but verify.

Did VCNA say it was a lease return with no problems and advertise that it had been "fully serviced by Volvo Certified techs," or did the selling dealer say that? I suspect that it was the selling dealer, because when VCNA says those things, they typically back it up with a very substantial CPO warranty. If neither party was willing to back up those statements with some sort of express or implied warranty, then the ancient wisdom applies. Caveat emptor.

Anyhoo, as both Architect and I have previously stated, you probably did get a good car anyway, you just might have overpaid a bit for it. Chalk it up as a relatively inexpensive lesson not to be lazy about doing your homework and move on by doing your homework!

Get a Post-Purchase-Inspection done by a competent 3rd party so that you can determine if there's anything else that might need, and don't be surprised or angry if there is (late homework suffers a one grade point deduction). I would also have the transmission fluid changed, paying extra attention that the tech doing so USES THE CORRECT FLUID (trust but verify). There have been some reports of transmission troubles in the v8s; nothing like the old T6 troubles, but enough to take extra precautions in that area nonetheless.

Then, once you get your homework done...

ENJOY!

Do I keep My XC90 ? Or trade it in and buy a 2009 xc90 v8 39 k-mi, its a cpo car by volvo, I would be taking a loss I know, but Im worried about the counter balance shaft issue , Im worried about the water drain problem , the bevel gear problem( these problems look to be very expensive and worse very time consuming ), my car is intended for me, to be a tool to make life easier not harder or one more problem to deal with.

I know the 07 should not have the water drain problem, but mine acting up this soon makes me wonder if it would be smart to sell it back.

You don't have to worry about the CB shaft issue (which may be the same thing as the water drain issue you mentioned), because Volvo fixed that pretty much as soon as they discovered it by putting drain holes in the CB shaft bearing, allowing it to dry after getting wet and thus preventing rust. Search the threads for the engine number after which this problem was fixed, but I think it was mid 2005 production. Model years 2006+ will have had the correction.

Selling it and taking the loss is probably an over-reaction to a couple of relatively minor problems. But if you're really hypersensitive to any additional trouble I would look into trading it for a CPO 3.2. That way you may be able to get closer to even on a deal if you push hard enough, you get the additional benefit of avoiding the potential V8 tranny trouble, and you get to do the proper pre-purchase work. You would, of course, have to change your screen-name to SI6IROLL.

I still think you are in denial that some things on automobiles fail with no notice nor with any accurate way to know that they should be replaced when inspected. A 5 year old vehicle with 37K miles is far from Volvo's recommended change interval.
    I have worked on automobiles professionally for about 40 years. I am very thorough with my own automobiles. I have been stranded when things broke with no warning on my own cars and trucks.
    Things happen.
    Did they find anything wrong with any of the belt system when they replaced your failed belt?
    Absent any finding of a failed idler or other pulley I stand by your belt being an unforeseen failure or a belt damaged by external things.

EPDM rubber belts do not show cracks like earlier serpentine belts. They usually give squealing noise under high load due to the ribs wearing down and no longer providing pulley traction to turn alternator or a/c compressor.
    The other failure seen with EPDM belts is reinforcing fiber failure. The belt simply snaps in one place. A shredded belt is usually seen with external damage from things thrown up from road.

The mechanic that replaced the belt said whoever last installed it did it wrong he said it had been rubbing between two metal tabs, the belt was cut straight in a line, he said all the work the engine did on the hills probably was the final straw, as it put more stress on the belt....

I really Love my V8 , it always has more then enough power to feel safe.
    Its so quiet... I think for now I will try to get some type of warranty on it. What worries me again is there seem to be a lot of post on here about huge repair bills and catastrophic failures.

And no 3.2 for me I have read blog after blog where people complain about the slow 3.2, and ever car I have ever driven has had Turbo. The huge engine for a Volvo helps to make up for the car having no turbo.

In this monster xc90 you don't need a turbo, For such a big car , it eats asphalt like Godzilla on speed-"Roar"

Again thank you for your advice and comments.

You know whats funny the crapy Patrick Volvo is willing to put me in another XC90 v8- and they are willing to eat 1500-k, the one they have- they have had for months, and cant sell it. I looked it up on carfax- but they are not willing pay to fix this one.Why eat 1500 , when it would be cheaper for them to pay to fix this one? They are doing the Volvo name a disservice. Its not only the cost of fixing/replacing the LDP it the ethics and integrity.

You know whats funny the crapy Patrick Volvo is willing to put me in another XC90 v8- and they are willing to eat 1500-k, the one they have- they have had for months, and cant sell it. I looked it up on carfax- but they are not willing pay to fix this one.Why eat 1500 , when it would be cheaper for them to pay to fix this one? They are doing the Volvo name a disservice. Its not only the cost of fixing/replacing the LDP it the ethics and integrity.
    It's probably because they get no floorplan financing relief from fixing your car, whereas if they buy it back and sell you the one that's been languishing on their lot (presumably because they're either asking to much for it or because something is pretty wrong with it) they'll achieve a financing break that's worth more than the $1500 you think that they're "eating" in the trade. The markets are efficient and you should assume that they're being so as well.

Default OOP's I did it again!

Oh BOY !!!

I bought a CPO Executive 2008 XC90 V8 from another Volvo Dealership. Why does the car seem so low to the ground and it seems smaller then the 2007 ? I think my brain has had enough, maybe thats why its playing tricks on me I'm sure this XC90 is not a mini XC90, and it cant be an XC60 because its too boxy,

Oh god I feel nuts for adding almost 200 to the car note, but at least thats all I have to worry about now.
    Last edited by V8IROLL; 06-07-2012 at 10:00 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast