Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
    and you were the one who said "I'm cleaning it"
    You don't clean this system unless it's only slightly dirty, you replace the parts.
    On a high mileage car you need to replace all those hoses and as I said, especially the big hose or you will be wasting a lot on your time and parts spent as that is the one that's not cleanable
    Apologies. I re-read my first post, and didn't make it clear what we were up to. Just got in, about 50% back together. We did end up taking that big hose out of the car, and I also was able to prize out the intake hose and get to the PTC nipple. The nipple actually wasn't very clogged at all. The bottom hole on the block was almost completely full when we removed the oil trap a couple of days ago, so I assume that was one of the big reasons the system was failing. Went to the parts dealer today and got more parts. Also picked up a throttle gasket, and took that off the manifold. Throttle was very clean, so I assume the ETM was replaced not too long before my brother bought the car.

Parts guy at the dealer actually told me NOT to replace the big hose. He said they run a speedo cable through it off the car, then seafoam deep clean it and reinstall when the dealer does the job. He then gave me a piece of small plastic hose that fit (the piece that broke) and told me that should do it.

Appreciate the offer on getting the part no for the XC90. If my brother didn't have to leave this weekend I would probably try that.

car is all back together and running well with all the new parts. Hopefully, my brother will see an increase in mileage and more importantly less oil consumption (or loss as it most likely was). However, we do have the ever popular and embarrassing extra part issue. Can't figure out where this bracket came off. I believe it is somewhere on the drivers side of the block. Any identification help would be awesome. There were no extra nuts, so it must go on somewhere using and existing bolt. Bracket was hiding in the pile of sockets and extensions.

Thanks again for all the help and responses.

When you are standing in front of the car looking down at the engine, that bracket is bolted to the front of the intake manifold with the far right bolt (using the braket's top hole).

As you can see in the pictures, the big PCV hose rests on the bracket shelf and two vaccum hoses are stacked in the slot at the bottom. On my car, the blue hose goes back to the top of the turbo and the black one is part of the T-shaped vaccum hose assembly.

The way I see it, this bracket is important because it prevents the PVC hose from resting right against the engine, preventing it from getting too hot.

Thanks for the pictures and e-mail. I had a feeling there was something on the manifold, but couldn't picture how it would go on. So many thanks for the help.

We took a lot of pictures for this sort of reason but for some reason didn't take any before loosening the manifold.

Quote Originally Posted by vikingtraveler View Post
    car is all back together and running well with all the new parts. Hopefully, my brother will see an increase in mileage and more importantly less oil consumption (or loss as it most likely was). However, we do have the ever popular and embarrassing extra part issue. Can't figure out where this bracket came off. I believe it is somewhere on the drivers side of the block. Any identification help would be awesome. There were no extra nuts, so it must go on somewhere using and existing bolt. Bracket was hiding in the pile of sockets and extensions.

Thanks again for all the help and responses.

looks like the cable bracket that goes between the right hand (looking to the rear) lower intake manifold bolt. between bolt head and manifold.

Quote Originally Posted by vikingtraveler View Post
    Thanks for the welcome! Lots of good info here. I am going to go to the dealer tomorrow and talk to them about it, but it looks like I am headed for a new part. Just to be sure here is a picture of what broke

Not sure if that is what you were thinking of.

Also, how critical is the PTC nipple to all of this? It has now resisted 2 separate attempts to remove it or remove the tube it is in. I am really starting to hate this car.

I had this exact issue while changing parts in my PCV system. Installed new oil trap, new hose from trap to valve cover, new hose clamps, etc. That little plastic brittle hose going from the middle of the banjo bolt back to the elbow on the larger oil trap hose (the one pictured above that goes all the way back to the intake tube at the turbo), well it broke. It was also fully clogged. I replaced it with vacuum line along with the little barbed fitting that goes into the elbow (replaced that with a new brass barb) and also cleaned out the small nipple on the banjo bolt which was also fully clogged. The elbow of the larger PCV hose looks clean but I have not yet removed the larger hose from the intake tube/turbo but am doing that tonight.
    Last edited by hiljak; 08-15-2013 at 12:05 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12