Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Picking up an 05 white/taupe XC70 today

Hello everyone, this is my first post on the Volvo XC forums! I have owned a few Volvos over the last 6 years, mainly consisting of 3 S60Rs. With the wife back in school full time and my duties with the kids becoming greater, I decided it was time to hang up the 350+ hp, Brembos, and upgraded sway bars for something that was more appropriate for my family, while also keeping me in the Volvo family.

I have mostly hung out on Swedespeed, where I moderate the R forum and classifieds, but from time to time I can be found on Volvospeed or Turbobricks. I have been reading through some threads here and I can see there is a wealth of knowledge!

So, please consider me a complete noob with the XC. I have driven a couple, but it is still a different car in a lot of ways from what I am used to. Can you guys give me some tips?

What areas should I really keep an eye on? The R was really sensitive with the angle gear, 4C struts, etc.
    What kind of fuel do you guys typically use? I ALWAYS put 93 octane in the R, but these cars utilize lighter pressure turbos.
    I just spent a few $$ on accessories, such as sun glasses holder, rubber floor mats, tunnel mat, and a cargo tray. Are there other accessories that you guys believe are a MUST have? I plan to get the windows tinted soon, nothing crazy, and I purchased a GROM Audio adapter to give myself more audio options.

Thanks a lot, and if there is anything else useful you guys can think of, feel free to share!
    05 XC70: white/taupe, soon to be transformed into a battle wagon!

Nice ride!

Personally, I always run 93 in the T5. I have no idea what my wife puts in hers, likely 87...but I fill it with 93...it will run fine on 87, though the performance will be down just a bit as the AK sensor pulls back the timing...

If you search the threads, there are a couple of "what should I do with my XC?" discussions...and here's part of what I've said: change the oil every 7500 with ACEA A3/B3 (synthetic most likely...search for "oil rant"...), flush the trans every 30K, change filters regularly. Check the Angle gear every oil change. Rotate the tires every oil change. Flush the brake fluid every 2 years. Check the motor mounts and suspension bushings. Fix the little stuff before it creates cascading failures...
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (130K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (58K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (147K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (247K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (300K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (230K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

You'll probably want to follow this thread too:

http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17000
    '05 XC70 (family truckster)
    '11 X3 xdrive35i (Daddy's daily)
    '05 Sienna XLE Limited AWD (the road tripper)

Thanks for the replies!

I have seen the R project thread before, he is carving his own path I want to keep it simple, but there is a LOT of good info in there.

I will snoop around some more and learn what I can.

Default Post some pics when you get a chance.

I picked up an 05 XC70 a month ago and have been super happy with it. You'll love the way it handle's the snow. My XC70's a base model but I picked it up with 41,000 miles on it. I still have a 2001 V70 with 168,000 I'm getting rid of soon. Enjoy the new ride!
    Last edited by JeremyXC70; 03-02-2012 at 10:54 AM. Reason: typo

Congratulations for the nice white XC70. You're lucky to find one in white because I'm trying to find that color without luck yet.

2000 Silver V70 XC SE - 153,000 miles and counting...
    Mostly stock - IPD HD TCV - IPD HD coils

Quote Originally Posted by JeremyXC70 View Post
    I picked up an 05 XC70 a month ago and have been super happy with it. You'll love the way it handle's the snow. My XC70's a base model but I picked it up with 41,000 miles on it. I still have a 2001 V70 with 168,000 I'm getting rid of soon. Enjoy the new ride!
    The drive home felt good. For having substantially less HP than the S60R I just sold, there is enough power to maneuver through traffic, which makes me happy. My S60R was a 6MT was amazing in the snow, and I expect nothing less from an XC. It is difficult for me to compare the 2, they are 2 different animals. The handling is not nearly as good as the R, but it was cheating by having a set of iPd track spec sways.

Quote Originally Posted by Xilikon View Post
    Congratulations for the nice white XC70. You're lucky to find one in white because I'm trying to find that color without luck yet.
    White has been my favorite car color for a long time. I found other XCs with less mileage, a couple of more options, different pricing...but I kept coming back to white. It is harder to find than most!

and a pic...

Quote Originally Posted by GiRaff3 View Post
    and a pic...

It looks clean and ready to be transformed.
    1988 Volvo dark red 244 DL: 200k miles w/ GL wheels, volvo volt gauge, volvo fuel ecomony gauge, and jvc cd player

2003 Volvo ash gold metalic XC70: 100k miles
    cold climate package, sand leather, memory seats, homelink, moon/sunroof, grocery rack, courtsey lights, and 40/20/40 rear seat, trailer hitch, IPD engine strut conversion and poly bushings, IPD upper engine mount and round poly bushings, 3M xpel lens covers

cool: loves the snow drifting

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast