Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Imported post

Anyone had their car detailed or professionally waxed before?

My buddy just got his bimmer done by a local company in North Vancouver and the results are absolutely stunning. Hence, I'm booking my appointment first thing Monday morning!

Anyone have it done, and is there anything I should be wary of? These guys sound like they're real pros, but I just want to see if there's anything I should be cautious of, perhaps specific to the XC?

Default Imported post

Everyone has a different idea of good work when it comes to car cleaning I have found.

I personally, HATE any application of Armorall or similar prodicts to my car's interior/exterior as it just looks bad, and collects dust and feals like grease.  

I also find that some detailers work very fast and don't do a complete job.  Keep your eye on them and make sure that when tthey wax your car, they get every metal part, not just the middle 80% of evey body panel.

A good detailer will use as little cleaning stuff as possible on the interior of a car.   Three steps to restoring the interior to new condition are 1)vacuum very, very good. 2)use a static dust cloth and clean paint brush to get the dust out of all cracks and off the dash and a/c vents.  3) use a warm moise towl (water) to wipe the dash and all seats down.  If they need deeper cleaning, use soapy water, then whip down with wet (not drenched) cotton towel.  Do no use cheap paper towels as they leave lint in the car.

I personally haven't seen many detail shops that can do a better job that I can, but then I like this kind of stuff.

Default Imported post

That's what I was concerned about too but it sounds like these guys are absolute artists.

Here he was giving my buddy a complete schooling on auto paints and their characteristics, showing him where there was still packaging glue on the finish which should have been taken off during the PDI, etc etc.

This will be my first time leaving the waxing to someone else so I'm a little hesitant, but these guys do really sound like they know what they're doing, so I guess we'll see!

Agreed on the ArmourAll.. can't stand the stuff.:)

Default Imported post

Just curious, how much is this setting you back? and are they doing inside the car too?

Default Imported post

They haven't seen my car yet so couldn't give me a quote but my friend's white 2000 bmw cost around &#36200 CAD with everything, a great deal considering the quality (I think at least).

He brought in another friend with the same bmw in black and I think it cost closer to &#36400 because of a few dents and some pretty big swirlies on the paint.

I'd guess mine will cost somewhere in the middle, say &#36300-350 CAD?

Included wash, claybar treatment, a very meticulous waxing and polishing job, full interior cleaning and leather treatment.

Default Imported post

For that kind of money, they sound first class.  My brother in law just had his 2000 Bentley Azure done in a similar way and that only cost &#36300 US, and that's for a &#36360,000 (US) car.  

Let me know how it looks.

Default Imported post

Coastal,

I've actually been planning on getting mine done for a couple months now and just haven't found the time. That was until last week (finding it, not getting it). My car's being done Tuesday, Dec 11th. I found a wide range of prices in my area (from US&#36100-&#36200), and finally chose a mid-priced detailer (who sounded much more experienced and capable -- something like 20 years in the business).

Can't wait to compare notes!

--Adam

Default Imported post

I'll try and get some before and after photos, though I'm not too sure how much you'll be able to tell from a photograph.

Default Imported post

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Anyone have it done, and is there anything I should be wary of? ...anything I should be cautious of, perhaps specific to the XC?
    [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

I had overspray on a new car in 1998 and found a great detailer here in Houston. &nbsp;This guy was located right behind the Rolls Royce/Bentley dealer and I felt really in good hands (as he did all the prep work for the RR cars). &nbsp;He took a clay bar to my car (which was very bad) and took his time (which is what I look for in a detailer - someone who doesn't rush). &nbsp;If we're swaping information - I'm looking for any good detailers in the mid New Jersey area. &nbsp;Thanks all :biggrin:

Default Imported post

Mine's going in Monday or Tuesday next week, didn't realize how busy these places are at this time of year. :o

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast