Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

The intermittent part makes me think of a poor connection somewhere that may respond to road bumps.

Nov 3, 2012
    Four instances when the key would not activiate the starter.
    I have tried to post twice before and lost it in the ever after,..

First time was in the garage (50+ degrees and normal conditions)
    I used the momentary switch after trying the key a few times. The switch activates the starter but the engine doesnt start (even with ignition on).
    The key started right after trying the switch to the starter.

The third time in the same day, I tried the spare key. That worked and I thought that was the answer,.. but alias.. the fourth time I tried both keys with no success and had to use the momentary switch. (then it started with either key)

checked the battery this morning (but after trying to start -- which it did) and battery was 12.5 V and 80% charged (seems low)
    I have charged the battery and will check it over night.

The battery was changed sinced August posting.
    This was a long time since the last problem with the ignition/starter.

I appreciate any suggestions or experiences that you may have to share
    tc

Default UPDATE: intermittant ignition/starter woes (2005 xc70)

Quote Originally Posted by ekratman View Post
    TC,
    Have you had any progress on figuring out what was wrong with the starting? When I turn the key, the lights on the dash light up but it won't crank. I replaced the battery and the same thing still happens.
    ekratman-- I was going to say that the problem went away but it returned and sounds that same as your experience.
    I have replaced the battery but the problem came back anyway.
    I have tested the battery before starting and it seems low: 12.5 V and 75-80% charge. When I charge the battery, it comes up to 13.5V. I am going to test the battery in the morning to see if it stays fully charged.

Trying different keys made no difference.

The only thing that has made the key switch work is being able to crank the starter with the momentary switch the shop installed.

sorry you have had this experience, but glad I am not alone ! Wondering if anyone else has had this happen (?)
    thanks, tc

UPDATE: 13 Nov 2012
    found a small wire to the starter barely on the flat blade terminal. Crimped the connector and pressed this back on.
    The repeated ignition/starter problems quit.

Anyone find this a weakness/cause of the intermittent starter issue ??

thanks to all
    tc

Sounds like the wire/connector you found loose is the solenoid wire. This is what would provide the power to the solenoid to active it when you turn the key to the start position. If it was loose then you would certainly have starting issues.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12