Default Lack of Heat. Radiator Cover???

I have been having a problem with a lack of heat in my 2000 v70xc. Coolant level is good and the thermostat is operating properly it just seems as if the cold weather is making it tough for the car to get up to proper operating temp. The owners manual recommends a factory accessory radiator cover for temperatures colder than -10C, which it is more often than not where I live(Edmonton Alberta Canada) I guess my question is Has anyone had one of these covers and was it effective? I tried to make a cardboard cover but it is difficult to get any kind of sizable chunk in there and as such seems to be ineffective. Any Ideas??

Thanks.

What does the dash temperature gauge say? if it is in the center, I don't think a radiator cover is going to change your situation.
    '04 XC70 (petrol/auto), Nautic Blue / Graphite, Premium, Touring, Boosters, Xenia Wheels w/235x60 Nokian WR's (wife's kid-hauler)
    '09 C70 retractable hard top convertible. Red with black interior.

Try blocking the grills instead of the radiator itself - I'm pretty sure that is what the Volvo cover does. I have used black Gorilla brand tape to temporarily block my upper and lower grill openings (it was an aerodynamic test). You can also block them from behind - the lower ones are just plastic inserts so they pull right out. I'm not sure about the top one. The good thing about the tape is its easy to fine tune how much air you let through, and from ten feet away its hard to tell its there.

Here is a picture of a homemade grill block someone made for aerodynamic purposes, but it should work for you too...

http://ecomodder.com/forum/189972-post32.html
    Last edited by instarx; 01-23-2012 at 12:36 AM.
    2000 V70 XC SE
    165,000 miles and runs great.
    Total repair costs over last 65 months: $720 (about 1.5 car payments);
    Best single tank mileage ever: 32.8; Average mileage: 22.2; City: 18

I agree with the poster who asked about what your temp gauge is reading...if its at 3 o'clock (horizontial, pointing to the right) you probably have a clogged heater core, or a control valve problem. Is your radiator upper hose getting hot? Find it hard to believe that the T-stat is working properly and you are not getting a warmed up engine...my 98 always warms up to normal temp, even in ambient air down to well below zero F.

I picked up a very useful diagnostic tool at the local Home Depot the other day that might help you diagnose your problem....a Ryobi IR laser surface temperature scanner. Was about 20-30 bucks. Very accurate, works from way below zero F to 600F. The temp of the upper 98 XC rad hose at the radiator scanned at 185F with the temp gauge at the normal 3 oclock position. Air coming out the dash vents at the driver side and passenger side windows read about 165 in moderate (40F) ambient, with the temp controls maxed out and the fan going full blast. The temp at the center vents was notable colder, as outside air is mixed in at that location.

Have been measuring all sorts of other stuff with the scanner (freezer, fridge, hot water from faucets, wall/windows for leaks, dog, cat, my self (don't point at your eyes!)...very cool tool (pun indented)...also, looked at brake discs for evidence of a stuck caliper (wasn't).....
    Last edited by StoningtonXC70; 01-23-2012 at 04:41 PM. Reason: typo correction....

Default Lack of heat

Just bought a 99xc and the cabin filter was totally obstructed, i.e. no air moved through it. Changed it... voi la! hot air came out the vents. Might want to check this if not already done.