Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

That same leak developed on my car two weeks ago. I have to admit, when I saw the oil on the ground, I feared something much worse. I tightened that hose clamp, topped off the fluid, and degreased everything. So far, so good-no more leak.

normally by the time i see that on a reservoir, it is time for a new one and a new hose. if it's not leaking, the reservoir will swell under the pressure it has and will be junk either way. after disturbing the hose to replace the reservoir, it likes to leak too. so i just replace both and put fresh clamps on all the connections.

Well, running the pump dry is not a good idea; I think you can run it to the store a few km to get a refill. I am basing this on the assumption that the leak is from the reservoir area and not lower in the system (such as pump feed or discharge). You should have some fluid in the system, unless a return line is dumping it all out. (My guess is you are missing a volume close to the amount in the reservoir and then some.) If the pump is empty you would know that within seconds, or as soon as you do a stop-to-stop turn in the driveway. -- But again this is an assumption that the leak is coming from the top of the piping not the bottom.

And a reservoir replacement is prudent.

Quote Originally Posted by squirrel_master View Post
    normally by the time i see that on a reservoir, it is time for a new one and a new hose. if it's not leaking, the reservoir will swell under the pressure it has and will be junk either way. after disturbing the hose to replace the reservoir, it likes to leak too. so i just replace both and put fresh clamps on all the connections.
    just replaced my 01 V70 T5's reservoir at 132k miles. The plastic casing definitely swelled permanently. The 01 V70XC's reservoir at 116k miles also shows signs of leak and swelling. Looks like the original design is good for just about 100k miles.

I had a hard time separating the PS reservoir from the coolant reservoir. Had to cut hook/tab at the top of the PS reservoir and then came off real easily.
    Last edited by howardc64; 01-25-2012 at 10:47 PM.
    Past Volvos : 01 V70 T5, 01/02 V70XC, 02 V70 NA, 00 V70XC
    Current EV/Hybrid : 13 Tesla S85, 11 Gen3 Prius
    Friends cars under my care 17 Audi A4 Quattro DSG (B9) 05 Audi A4 Manual 6sp Quattro (B7) 04 e320 V6 Auto, 05 Accord 2.4, 08 Element 2.4, 08 Camry Hybrid
    Past Others : 01/03 VW MK4 Turbo/NA/01M. Gen1 Prius, Gen1 CRV, Gen2 Rav4, 02 Town&Country, 06 Corolla, 12 Audi A4 Quattro (B8), 07 Civic 1.6
    https://sites.google.com/view/howardsvolvos

Quote Originally Posted by howardc64 View Post
    just replaced my 01 V70 T5's reservoir at 132k miles. The plastic casing definitely swelled permanently. The 01 V70XC's reservoir at 116k miles also shows signs of leak and swelling. Looks like the original design is good for just about 100k miles.

I had a hard time separating the PS reservoir from the coolant reservoir. Had to cut hook/tab at the top of the PS reservoir and then came off real easily.
    Same here, I was unable to separate the reservoir even with a big fat screwdriver so I ended up cutting the tab like you. Luckily, the reservoir will get tossed out and not reused.

2000 Silver V70 XC SE - 153,000 miles and counting...
    Mostly stock - IPD HD TCV - IPD HD coils

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12