Default Replacement Tires

Hi all. I am looking for replacing my OE continentals on my 2010 XC70. I have compared several tires on Tirerack.com and I am having a hard time choosing the right tire. I find Continentals are melting like ice cream in the sun. Any suggestions out there?

Bert

Canada: Calgary Alberta - Panorama Mountain BC - Pender Island BC

Default Tire Suggestions

I would suggest Nokians if you have a single set of rims and want to avoid mounting costs. The tires are pricey (about C$1,200 incl taxes) but they are fine in the summer and have a "snowflake" identifier so they would be compatible for the winter. Downside is that they are a bit noisy.

If you already have a spare set of rims, I would suggest a set of Michelin X-ICE. These run about C$900 including all taxes in Calgary (I just bought a set). A very quiet tire indeed!

I have used both tires on my XC-70 running through the Rocky Mountains and recommend both. I lived in Montreal many years and am familiar with the roads there. Both tires are excellent for our Canadian winters.
    Additional Thought: I have assumed that you are looking for winter tires. If not, feel free to ignore my suggestions!
    Last edited by John@CdnRockies; 12-29-2011 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Additional Thought
    '04 XC70 Canadian Premium and Sport packages, Black (425,000 kms)
    '06 XC70 Ocean Race Model, IPD to 240 hp, 18" rims, Deep Blue
    Other rigs: '06 Toyota Avalon, '15 Jeep Grand Cherokee, '23 BMW330e (Plug-In-Hybrid)

Thank you John for our suggestions. I will keep them in mind for my next set of winter tires. I am effectively looking for summer /4 seasons tires for now, since I will be traveling south and I have an opportunity to buy them down there with separate rims.

Bert

If you're coming to the states STS Sells the Nokian WRG2 for about $150/each. I just got a set and plan on running them all year long.
    Thor - 2004 XC70 (225k and going strong!)
    Gunnar - 2013 C30 T5 - Traded in on...
    Ty - 2013 S60 R-Design!!

Yeah, I guess I'm a Volvo guy... ;-)

I had a set of WRG2 XL on my 1999 XC70, wore out so fast, replaced with Michelin mxv4.
    My 2003 also has a set wearing quickly butvsine it mostky sits in the garage now, I will evetually replace with an off road set of tires.
    The Nokisn's are great winter tires, quiet, but if you run them all year round, theybwesr like any other dedicated snow tire.-Dick
    '11 XC70 Silver/Off Black-Hers
    '03 XC70 Silver/Charcoal-His
    '99 XC70 Silver/Charcoal -Granddaughter's
    '87 740GLE Junk Yard@287K miles
    2013 Porsche Boxster
    2017 Porsche C4S

I've had great luck so far with the Goodyear Eagle GT's. They are awesome in the snow and even more awesome in the rain/dry.

Good luck!