Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Yeah - thought the air intake part didn't need to be explained...otherwise, the engine can't measure the airflow going in...the path from air filter, through MAF, over to turbo, back up to intercooler, from the intercooler to the ETM is circuitous...but it has to be kept intact or the airflow is unmetered, and you get really poor running...

The wire loom crumbles on all of them. The wiring itself is still good, but the loom (sheath?) crumbles with heat/age... I bought $5 worth of 1/4" loom and replaced it all on the last sparkplug change on both of my Volvos...It's not a cause for worry, having the harness exposed won't affect the running in the short term, but in the long term, having the harness protected is better for it...
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

Could the various plastic parts falling apart be due to Volvo's commitment to using recycled plastic?
    Wait Griswold
    2003 XC70
    South Lake Tahoe, CA

I totally forgot about the turbo, and was thinking more like throttle body/carb intake, where that wouldn't matter. I just slipped in in to make contact, and the motor ran fine after that. I then took it off again to button it all up (wired in the plug where the clip broke off), and then put the pipe back yet again, and took for a test drive. I lost 2 torx bits in the process. One went down the back somewhere maybe between heat shield and engine, and the other went down the front through the intake runners and is likely sitting on the belly pan. I have a magnetic thing to retrieve metal parts, but that broke off in there somewhere too. I'm not going looking for them any more. Oh, and the torx on the intake tube got totally stripped on the one facing the front. I used vice grips to remove it, and used them again to put it back, but switched with the other one so it would be easier if I ever need to do this again.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123