Thread: Front end twang

Default Front end twang

Hey Guys-- I've got an '11 XC70 with almost 7k miles, and I've noticed, for the past few weeks, a "twang" sound coming from the front left after moving about 10-15 feet after the car has been off. Almost sounds like a cable being put under tension.

I had the car at the dealer yesterday for the 7500 mile service (we're leaving on a 3k mile road trip tomorrow), and they said that it was the ABS system doing a self check. But I don't trust them any further than I can throw them. That said, it's still driving fine, no lights are coming on, etc... Just this sound that makes my stomach churn coming from my beautiful car!

FWIW, around the time that I started noticing this, in a moment of idiocy I'd hit a curb with the front right wheel, popping the tire. Not sure if this is connected...

It could be the ABS! The manual for my 2000 XC says at around 12 MPH after car has been turned on, you will hear a weird sound like you described.

See if it activates at a certain speed. Try driving really slow, like 5 MPH for a longer distance, then accelerate and see if it comes on at that same speed.
    2000 V70XC 2.4L Turbo - Emerald Green -245,000 miles

Default XC70 noise

We get the same sort of noise from the front of an '11 XC 70. We commonly hear it after backing out of the garage and starting off. My wife says she feels it near the brake pedal as well. I suspect the anti lock brake self check as the manual says. But she worries its something else. I haven't had a dealer look at it as we have <5,000 miles

I get the same on both my Volvos (09 S80, 12 XC70), and it is felt via the brake pedal as well. Completely normal.

FWIW, I'm closing in on 12k miles now, and it has gotten much less pronounced-- or I've gotten much more used to it