View Poll Results: Pirelli scorpian's on xc70 - Do you like the scorpians on your xc70?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • They are great!

53 100.00%
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Default Imported post

Falron, if you don't mind telling us, how much did the Scorpions cost in Oz $?

Just curious...
    MY2002 - V70XC
    Nautic Blue/Graphite

Default Imported post

Nice to meet you, wiz!

I don't have the tires yet, so I'll check.  One thing is sure, though:  allthe cars I had (including the V70 and the Acura) use one size smaller wheel, but with a higher profile.  Smaller wheels+higher profile = no tire pinching in potholes, and more shock absorbtion.

As for the flex of the Scorpio in cold weather, that's actually a trait found on all 4 season tires, it be for SUVs or cars.  A good winter tire would degrade very quickly in summer,   I guess there's a tire for each season!  Mind you, 4 seasons are usually rettyr good in snow during the first year and sometime a second winter if you don't pile up lots of kms.

Default Imported post

Wiz,

The scorpions, cost AU$205.00 each plus the alignment (which it seems is the first time it has been done correctly.) Plus recycle charge for the old tyres at AU$3.00 each.

Default Imported post

That's a good price. At the current conversion rate, it's US$112.

BTW, it looks like Pirelli are discontinuing the Scorpions. Also Volvo are moving to the Haldex AWD system in the 2003s, so it will be interesting to see what the new tires are...
    MY2002 - V70XC
    Nautic Blue/Graphite

Default Imported post

oops.
    scarypat2001 - Under snow tires (p. 106), the manual says 195/65 R15 for non-turbo V70's, 205/55 R16 for turbo, 215/65 R16 for the Cross Country.

That looks like 15 in. are OK for the regular V70, but anything turbocharged requires 16 in.
    MY2002 - V70XC
    Nautic Blue/Graphite

Default Imported post

Thanks for the info, wiz!

I'll make sure that they quoted me the right package (I got the quotation, but no size are stated).

Default Imported post

Our actual house is not in a very snowy part of the world but if you don't want to get stopped on the road to whistler you do what you have to do. When it is snowing the cops sit at the bottom and insist on winter tires, the scorpions do not qualify, neither does awd count without the right tires.  So - I prefer to get up there when there is fresh snow and live with a rougher ride the rest of the winter.
    TLCxc

Question Imported post

Yep, still happy with the scorpions. However 17" is still on my wish list, so they might go after all. For the summer that is
    2008 V70 2.4 Classic Sports Edition

Default Imported post

I have to say that I have also had a good experience with the Scorpians, so far. I find them a little on the noisy side, the car is so quiet that on a really good surface the tyres are the only thing making a noise. But they seem to be perfectly good tires.

Having said that, I will change to another brand next year when it's time. Probably Nokian WR, they are dimensionally identical to the Scorpions, and I was reading somewhere else a while ago that the 215/65/R16 Nokian tire was aimed specifically at the V70XC.
    MY2002 - V70XC
    Nautic Blue/Graphite

Art is offline Senior Member & VolvoXC.com Supporter

Default Imported post

I've been hearing talk of Pirelli discontinuing the Scorpian ST's.  Will the STR's be superceding the ST's? The STR's look a lot tamer by their appearance in the pics below.

Scorpian ST

Scorpian STR