Default Gear problem - Electrical or mechanical

Hi all,
    I own a 2002 XC70 , with a 220,000 km on it.
    Gear has started to shift abnormally.

First thing I noticed , is when the gear is hot , it takes about 1.5 seconds until it shifts from parking to drive or from reverse to drive.

Second : When driving a hilly road at about 60-80kmph , especially when incline is moderate gear shifts from 4th to 3rd but before that it tries to go to 2nd and that causes a strong "bump" that shakes the car , and then all get to normal.
    When driving not on a hilly road, it never happened.

I have noticed that usually , it happens when acceleration pedal is pressed without a change , and then the road start to be hilly. And when I add gas , it's like the engine rpm doesn't increases.

Volvo dealer , didn't find any errors on the cars computer with regards to gear functionality or else.

I thought maybe it has anything to do with the Throttle positioning sensor ? or maybe another sensor ? Maybe gas pump.

Appreciate your kind advice.

Tnx,

Eitan

Read the transmission threads.
    You will probably need a tranny soon but there are a few things to try first which may save it
    Again, please read the transmissions threads

Quote Originally Posted by eitankon View Post
    Hi all,
    I own a 2002 XC70 , with a 220,000 km on it.
    Gear has started to shift abnormally.

First thing I noticed , is when the gear is hot , it takes about 1.5 seconds until it shifts from parking to drive or from reverse to drive.

Second : When driving a hilly road at about 60-80kmph , especially when incline is moderate gear shifts from 4th to 3rd but before that it tries to go to 2nd and that causes a strong "bump" that shakes the car , and then all get to normal.
    When driving not on a hilly road, it never happened.

I have noticed that usually , it happens when acceleration pedal is pressed without a change , and then the road start to be hilly. And when I add gas , it's like the engine rpm doesn't increases.

Volvo dealer , didn't find any errors on the cars computer with regards to gear functionality or else.

I thought maybe it has anything to do with the Throttle positioning sensor ? or maybe another sensor ? Maybe gas pump.

Appreciate your kind advice.

Tnx,

Eitan
    My '02 has about 230K kms on it and it was acting pretty much the way you describe yours. Since I cleared all the accumulated DTCs, as well as the tranny adaptives, and performed the adaptation process, my gearbox is performing much,much better. I know you said your dealer checked but are you confident of the quality of their work? I have my own DiCE and did the clearing and adaptation myself and can only speak to the results from that.

Good luck,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff

Thank you very much for the replies and suggestions.

Sir , can you assist with more detailed information with regards to "Since I cleared all the accumulated DTCs, as well as the tranny adaptives, and performed the adaptation process" ?
    I probably do not understand the meaning of this actions/procedures.

I am ready to do what ever is needed to save the tranny.

Also , I did changed the oil a 15k ago , but didn't flush it. I have a friend that works in a Mazda repair shop , and he said they are using a special machine to flush and drain the tranny entirely , and it proves it self.

Appreciate your kind assistance.

Eitan