Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Angry Xc70 instrument panel lights flickering

I have a 02 xc70 that recently start having issues with the instument panel lights flickering while driving. On some days it will go completely out. No guage or light functions at all. Then 2 days later, it comes back on and operates normally. This morning, it started flickering again and trying to register mph and rpm. The rpm was way low and obviously incorrect.
    The car runs fine but this is the behavior.
    Has anyone experienced this? Don't want to fail to mention, but may or may not be related but I do need an engine speed sensor. Dealership thinks I need to replace the main control unit. I am not going that route yet. My gut feelings is no. Sounds like a short somewhere at best. Nothing recent has been repaired to the car lately.

Quote Originally Posted by steed001 View Post
    I have a 02 xc70 that recently start having issues with the instument panel lights flickering while driving. On some days it will go completely out. No guage or light functions at all. Then 2 days later, it comes back on and operates normally. This morning, it started flickering again and trying to register mph and rpm. The rpm was way low and obviously incorrect.
    The car runs fine but this is the behavior.
    Has anyone experienced this? Don't want to fail to mention, but may or may not be related but I do need an engine speed sensor. Dealership thinks I need to replace the main control unit. I am not going that route yet. My gut feelings is no. Sounds like a short somewhere at best. Nothing recent has been repaired to the car lately.
    Your DIM (Driver Information Module in Volvoese or dash to the rest of us) is going out more than likely. Not much you can do about it except get a new one for stupid money, have yours rebuilt by BBA or similar, or try and buy a used one. In the latter two options do a search as there are a fair number of threads on those subjects that will fill you in with the specifics.

Good luck,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff

We had this with my wifes car, we use to call it driving by the force as the whole cluster would suddenly go dark and the speed, rev counter, temp and fuel levels would drop to zero. We were to told that the cluster would need replacing and were lucky that the car hadsome warenty on it. You are going to have to have the instrument panel replaced

I think some DIY prcedures can be found on the web.
    Willy
    144 GL (1974)--->244 GL (1982)--->940 GLE 2.3i (1992)--->XC70 2.5T (2004)--->XC90 T5 (2018)

Want to thank all for the responses. Found some who will rebuild for a fraction of the price of a new or used one.

Steed001

Can you please update us with how it goes, who you used and how much it cost so in the future when someone does a serch they can find the info !

Thanks ...

Dan

My 03' 260k is now experiencing the same symptom, I thought it was simply a loose connection in the back so I lightly tapped it and it went back on. I've done it a few times already and solved it each time.

First question, should I stop tapping which may make things worse? Is a replacement the only remedy?

Thx...

P.S. I had the following replaced or not working,

- 2x lock actuator (1 still not working, relay/solenoid good)
    - 2x ignition coil
    - window regulator (bent)
    - rear brake caliper (torn piston boot)
    - rear wiper (replaced motor, checked wiring, still not working)
    - timing belt, water pump & belts replaced as per general maintenance
    - struts needs replacement
    - instrument panel

love the car but should I be expecting this much maintenance?
    Last edited by Capt. Canuck; 04-29-2013 at 03:09 PM. Reason: grammer

Best thing to do is replace it. Ive done this to our 02 for not very much money. $130 dollars for a guaranteed cluster from an 06 s60 (aluminum gauge surrounds and easier to read) and another $60 dollars to correct and verify the millage on the new cluster. Defiantly worth the money.

I had the same problem with my instrument panel going out. I read on another blog that the simple solution was to disassemble the instrument panel and cover with aluminum foil the exposed metal plate heat protector to the mother board. And it worked, my instrument panel is working fine. I have a 2002 v70xc with 235,000 and going like new.

Quote Originally Posted by damian1108 View Post
    I had the same problem with my instrument panel going out. I read on another blog that the simple solution was to disassemble the instrument panel and cover with aluminum foil the exposed metal plate heat protector to the mother board. And it worked, my instrument panel is working fine. I have a 2002 v70xc with 235,000 and going like new.
    The underlying issue is most often bad solder joints on the main PCB, although other stuff can go wrong too. The upper left chip in this image is the main CPU, and I think issues are around that commonly:

That photo is from my thread at http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=65817.

It's possible to flex the PCB and cause the solder joints to reconnect. Most likely either in the processes of taking apart the DIM you flex it a little and it happens to work, OR adding the aluminum foil slightly changes how the PCB is flexed and again allows the joints to reconnect.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast