Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thumbs up Installation under Win 7 HP

I have only knowledge of W 7 Ultimate (like Business version) - have just recently purchased this as it is stipulated by my daughters' school laptop specification ( they have a scheme run by Dell but I will not use it prefering IBM Lenovo) I have succesfully installed many of the advanced tools I use on Win XP Pro Sp3 - bleachbit Acronis True Image and Tuneup Utilities.

I found the solution to avoiding trouble is A. turn off UAC B. Instal with compatability mode as for Win XP Pro Sp2 or Sp3.
    Also some versions of Vadis, and possibly Vida, are time limited. You therefore need as a prerequisite, to set your System time and date back eg. my Vadis needs "June 2004". Once installation is successfully concluded, don't forget to reset time and date. By the way, here in UK Microsoft retails Educational discount (full software versions) versions of OS and suits like Windows Office 2010 for 80 - 90 $ USA. So my guess is there are even more competitive deals in the US.
    Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by nickbw View Post
    I have only knowledge of W 7 Ultimate (like Business version) - have just recently purchased this as it is stipulated by my daughters' school laptop specification ( they have a scheme run by Dell but I will not use it prefering IBM Lenovo) I have succesfully installed many of the advanced tools I use on Win XP Pro Sp3 - bleachbit Acronis True Image and Tuneup Utilities.

I found the solution to avoiding trouble is A. turn off UAC B. Instal with compatability mode as for Win XP Pro Sp2 or Sp3.
    Also some versions of Vadis, and possibly Vida, are time limited. You therefore need as a prerequisite, to set your System time and date back eg. my Vadis needs "June 2004". Once installation is successfully concluded, don't forget to reset time and date. By the way, here in UK Microsoft retails Educational discount (full software versions) versions of OS and suits like Windows Office 2010 for 80 - 90 $ USA. So my guess is there are even more competitive deals in the US.
    Hope this helps.
    This is one of the reasons that we need a DICE forum along with a sticky showing the minimum requirements for a working VIDA install. After 30 years of dealing with all ends of PC development, support whatever (at various times I was an IT Director dealing with supported client counts of up to 5000 seats with a staff of 20-30 for the purposes of any legitimacy that might have, now retired thank gawd), I have seen that any time you install an app on a PC there can be more to it than what the minimum requirements might suggest. The interaction of the elements of the installed app along with whatelse is on the box can make or break that installation.

The one thing that bothers me here is that there are some respondents who, while trying to be helpful, may be steering folks to an expensive solution when in fact they may very well have something getting in the way of installing VIDA. For example, because I deal with both Mac and PC, I've installed VIDA in both environments. But because I have the luxury of doing so, both installs have been done within very slim Win 7 Ultimate environments (under a VM on the Mac, BTW). As a result, I have successfully installed a very well-working VIDA that is quick and reliable under hardware requirements that are right at the minimums.

VIDA uses an HTML frontend which uses minimal resources, but the backend utilizes SQL which can be a hog and the ISOView4 used to display the graphics can also be problematic if the graphics setup on the PC isn't quite right.

Any road, what I suggest are a couple of things. I repeat my suggestion that we have a DICE forum and now add to that a need for a DICE installation section with links to the Volvo documentation as well as threads such as this one. Also for anyone offering installation advice, please try and add as much specifics as you can on your setup. That is, the hardware specs of your unit (CPU, RAM), what OS you are running and to what patch level, and an idea of what other database-oriented apps you might be running that could adversely interact with VIDA (I wouldn't expect to see many of these but you never know). You have to remember that VIDA was pretty much designed for shop use where the PC running it is designated just for that use with very little else on it. I would hope that not many shops want their guys to install games, etc. on the VIDA box. As a former developer (yeah, as well, jeez what a life), I know that if I had been given that platform to build on your mindset along the lines of interoperability is vastly different if you know an app is going to reside on the more usual general-use box. So if you think you are running something that might be conflicting, throw that out there too as it might be helpful.

My two cents for your consideration

Cheers,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff

Arrow Update:

Ok, here's an update and some additional (hopefully USEFUL) information about my specific system and problem:

Computer = ASUS X53E Series notebook
    Processor = Intel Core i3-2310M, 2.1 GHz
    RAM = 4GB
    HDD = 500GB
    OS = WIN 7 Pro 64 bit

NOW (after biting the bullet and shucking out ~$100.00USD for upgrade from Win7 Home to Pro upgrade), I receive an error message during setup indicating that VIDA is NOT compatible with WIN 7 Pro 64-bit, but will run under XP Pro or WIN 7 Pro 32-bit! You gotta be s#!++ing me!

I've tried installing under "compatibility mode" using XP Pro SP3 settings, and STILL same result. C'mon all you wizards--- ---what am I missing here?!

My deceased '01 above.
    She gave up her life to save mine!

Jim Wickstrom, W1IK
    Owner, Chief Engineer
    Surge Performance Sound
    Eastpointe (Metro Detroit) MI
    2nd Owner '03 XC70
    Ash Gold/Beige, >145,000 mi.

Sorry, not that it helps now but when I bought mine a few weeks ago it specifically stated in the ad that it was not 64-bit compatible.

part of the listing:

Requirement on computer:
    1. It must be windows XP SP3
    2. It need to be Internet Explorer 8
    3. Computer memory need over 2GRAM
    4. C:// must have 16GB space
    5. Software must install on C://
    6. It must be NTFS format

Quote Originally Posted by gpzTurbo View Post
    Sorry, not that it helps now but when I bought mine a few weeks ago it specifically stated in the ad that it was not 64-bit compatible.

part of the listing:

Requirement on computer:
    1. It must be windows XP SP3
    2. It need to be Internet Explorer 8
    3. Computer memory need over 2GRAM
    4. C:// must have 16GB space
    5. Software must install on C://
    6. It must be NTFS format

I have also been UNSUCCESSFUL in installing this package on TWO XP/SP3 notebooks meeting all of the requirements listed above. This is getting ridiculous!

My deceased '01 above.
    She gave up her life to save mine!

Jim Wickstrom, W1IK
    Owner, Chief Engineer
    Surge Performance Sound
    Eastpointe (Metro Detroit) MI
    2nd Owner '03 XC70
    Ash Gold/Beige, >145,000 mi.

And just to throw a bit of a wrench into this, I'm successfully running VIDA on and connect DiCE to a:

Hardware = Dell Inspiron 1300 (bought in 2005)
    CPU= Intel Celeron 1.6
    RAM= 2G
    HD = 80G
    OS= Win 7 Ultimate 32-bit
    Browser = IE 8.0
    VIDA = 2011A

For reference purposes only, I run VIDA in a VM running on a:

Hardware = iMac (Early 2007)
    CPU= Intel Dual Core Duo 2.4
    RAM= 4G (VM configured to 2G)
    HD = Total is 7Tb (VM configured to 60G)
    OS = Win 7 Ultimate 32-bit
    Browser = IE 9.0
    VIDA = 2010D

Note: I have run this VM both in Parallels Desktop 7 and VMWare Fusion 4.

Cheers,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff

Mine is on its way here from Hong Kong. I have a few different laptops with varying OS' and will post my results when the kit gets here.

Christmas in October!
    Gadgets arrived today: Vida/Dice & BLP radio.

1st attempt to install into a 64bit Vista machine was expectedly unsuccessful. I'm installing the XP Emulator into the W7 machine and have copied the disc onto a flash drive for installation into my netbook which doesn't have a cd drive.

Unfortunately I ordered the radio before reading about everyone's troubles with theirs or would've spent the extra money for the Alpine or Pioneer Z130. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. If it gives me too many headaches I'll take it to the firing range before shipping it back to them.

XP Mode and Virtual PC successfully installed on my 64bit Windows7 Pro machine.
    Vida was happy with that and while it took what seemed like a looooong time it finally completed the install. Looks good.
    Family time now. Will try hooking up to the car tomorrow.

By default the xp emulator only allocates 256mb of the system's memory to itself and
    it installs Explorer 6 . Vida wants 1gb of memory and IE8 so that needed to be worked out.
    (We're on our way to Hershey for their Halloween event )

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast